Annie Drawings

I drew some sketches of Annie. It has become my latest obsession and when I get obsessed with something, I want to know every. single. detail.

So for the rest of the chapter I shall be harassing you with useless Annie facts I found out that probably nobody (except me) cares about. That okay with you? ;)

• Annie started out as a comic in the 1920's that was named (you guessed it) Little Orphan Annie. The comic takes place during the Great Depression, a time where nobody had nothing, basically showing her relationship with her adoptive father, Oliver Warbucks.

• In the late 1970's a broadway musical production was produced, which was based off the comic. I'm guessing it was supposed to be sort of a prequel. The Broadway Musical starred Andrea McArdle, who was 12 at the time.

• If you want to see what the first Annie looked like, you might be surprised, but people have actually uploaded videos from the 1970's on YouTube, even the audio from the original soundtrack. I highly recommend listening to the 'Maybe' track. Her voice will blow you away.

• In 1982, the first Annie movie was produced, which was based off the musical. The film starred Ailee Quinn as Annie and Carol Burnette as Miss Hanngian. They, however kept Annie's original hairstyle in the comic, which was a curly ginger afro. Apart from keeping the afro, they made some changes to the script, adding songs like 'Dumb Dog', making Miss Hannigan an alcoholic and a woman who threw herself at guys, making Mr Warbucks an 'old yelling English man' and the entire ending with the last medley of songs. I'm guessing they were trying to make it more feisty.

• In 1992, there came a second Annie movie, another based off the musical, which starred Alicia Morton. It was produced by Disney. In the movie Annie's hair was straight and a darker shade of red. This movie, however, stayed more towards the original Broadway musical in terms of plot points, songs and such. Apart from that, this film was a bit more diverse as Grace and one of the main orphans was black, one Orphan was also Asian. Though this is commendable, it is not very realistic, seeing as Blacks were still not thought of highly in the 1930's.

• In this movie, Andrea McArdle (the first and original Annie) made a cameo when Annie, Grace and Mr Warbucks went to see Broadway (isn't that ironic?)

• In this movie, you also can see Sarah Hyland playing Molly, the youngest Orphan. She's mostly known from the show Modern Family, and also for starring in the Disney Movie 'Geek Charming' as Dylan Showenfeild.

• In between and even after the movies, Annie as a Broadway production didn't stop. It was constantly being taken to stage, the most recent play (I believe, though I'm not sure) starring Lilla Crawford

• The Annie movie idea was not revised until 2014, which starred Quevzhane Wallis as Annie, Jamie Fox as Will Stacks (I guess they thought Oliver Warbucks sounded too old), Rose Burnes as Grace and Cameron Diaz as Miss Hannigan. In this movie adaption, they decided to modernise it, making Annie and Mr Warbucks (sorry, Stacks) black seeing as most of the population is African American nowadays and replacing the Orphanage with the Foster system.

• Not many fans liked this movie adaption however, not precisely being racist, just saying that the movie 'sucked' and complaining about how Quevzhane Wallis couldn't sing (seeing as how they had to autotune all her songs) And more than once you can see a comment on the trailer saying "Why is Annie black?"

• My favourite out of all them is the 1999 one, mainly because of Black Grace. Her voice is heavenly.

Okay, that was not a fact. That was an opinion XD.

Well, I'm done here.