Storytime

Author~Chan did a bad. Sorta. The story ends with cops driving me home. How did I get here you ask? Well it starts like this. I have a beautiful Alaskan Malamute Husky named Orion, not even a year old yet. Though he's so young, he weighs over 80 pounds and is taller than me, as you'd expect from his Malamute heritage. Well, today we learned about how most of that weight was muscle.

Because my family and I are constantly busy, we often have to let Orion out on a tethered leash. We just bought a new one because he kept pulling the older one out of the ground. The new one was advertised to withstand 100+ pounds of force.  Well Orion manage to pull it out. My brother had let him out then left to play his video game upstairs, which we've always had against the rules. Never take your eyes off the dog when he's out.

I felt my mom sense tingling and checked the back door to see him in the neighbors yard, yet again, the leash and tether behind him. It was okay, I was about to grab him, when my other neighbors dog, who they don't watch more leash when he's out, came out of the wooded area behind our house and ran towards the corn fields. Welcome to Indiana, home of soy beans and corn.

Me, panicking because my idiot puppy was about to leave the neighborhood further than he's ever been before,  ran after him with what I had. That was limited to my pajamas only. T-shirt, bra, and pants. No shoes, jacket or phone, at night in 40 degree weather. Let it be said I was panicking. I sobbed about eight different times, preying to God Orion was home.

By the time the lead I was following ended, aka a moving body of water that look like a dog from a distance away in the dark (don't judge me, I was desperate), I was closer to the local Walmart than to my home. I couldn't feel my feet and my hands were going quickly so I made my way quickly to Walmart, while also having a panic attack.

I got in the store, accidently called the wrong number first then waited. It took me a while to realize I'd messed it up in my state of mind. In the time I hadn't realized it yet, customer service had sent out for a cop.

I finally realized I messed up and called the number again, but instead of my mom, the parent who lives in the same home that's 15 minutes away, I called my dad who was working in Georgia. Little background, he's bipolar and short-tempered. So when I, the anxiety ridden and panicking girl, broke into tears over the phone, he got pissed because I needed to 'adult' up.

The cop who arrived right after I dialed the phone had to speak to him for me, then drove me home. It wasn't far so it didn't take long. He was kind about it and helped to calm me down. When I was finally home I saw the garage door open and mom stepping out of the car. We didn't talk much as I got out and thanked the cop, but as soon as he was gone mom burst into tears and wouldn't let me go. I did too. I am my mother's daughter. When I got inside I found Orion had safely returned. Then came the worst part. Yes, after getting back home the worst part came.

My dad always lectures when he's upset and called to scream at me. I had another attack to the point I just went numb and hid under a blanket. Once he was done he lectured my mom on her reaction time when I didn't return quickly. We were both crying, me quietly and mom out loud. My dad never really did understand how the girls in our family cry from emotions other than pain or sadness.

We cry when we're scared or frustrated or mad or confused. He still hasn't gotten it over the years. But mom sat with me for awhile just stroking my head and muttering how she understood how I reacted.

It took a bit but it ended in her saying I was excused from school tomorrow.

I'm still shaking. Whether it's from my frost-bitten limbs or my anxiety I'm still shaking...