Chapter Thirty-Nine

Where is everyone from? I'm from Michigan, US. Just curious on where y'all are from :)

Luke had come home to an empty apartment. He knew Calum didn't have classes and he wasn't with Ashton because he was at work. He stopped in the kitchen and opened the fridge, hoping that there would actually be something in there to eat for once. 

Smiling to himself when he saw a pizza box he grabbed it quickly. Rolling his eyes when he saw that only one piece was left over. Shrugging his shoulders he threw the box away and heated up his dinner. 

A familiar song started to play, making him grab at his jeans. Pulling out his phone he answered it quickly.

"Hello?" 

"Where are you?" Calums voice came through panicky and Luke did't understand why.

"I'm at home? Where are you exactly?"

"I'm at the hospital, room 324, you better hurry too," Calum seemed more calm knowing his friend hasn't randomly died or anything.

Luke started to get his stuff together, "Are you okay? Whats wrong?"

"Its not me, its Michael," Luke almost dropped his pizza. 

But he did drop his phone. 

-- 

Michael was really just minding his own business when Calum busted in his room with the twins following behind him. He watched as his children's eyes lit up as they saw him and begged Calum to put them on the bed. Calum seemed more relaxed when he didn't look like he was on the edge of death like Ashton explained. 

"Thank god you're okay," Calum exclaimed as if he just ran up ten flights up stairs.

"Why wouldn't I be?" Michael asked confused. 

Calum put the twins on the bed with their dad, "Ashton basically said you were in the hospital and what room, then he hung up,"

The two children clung themselves to their dads legs. Almost hanging off the bed. Michael quickly reached and flipped them. So now they were hugging his legs but they were between him with their backs touching. 

Michael just shrugged, not sure why Ashton would call like that, "Maybe he just wanted to quickly call Luke and things I don't know,"

Calum nodded as he sat down in the chair Ashton was in before he left to get food. 

"They didn't get their nap in which is why they are just," Calum motioned towards Michaels legs and they both could see the twins had their eyes closed.

Michael just nodded, grateful to have his little bundles of joy with him. 

Michael could see the itch Calum had. Not a physical itch, but the fact Calum wanted to know why Michael was in here. It was clear that he wasn't drastically hurt so it was unclear to him. 

Michael felt awkward. No one had known about this besides Ashton. The only reason Ashton knew was because he was signed as Michaels "emergency contact" and his only "family". Michael ate food, he did. Just not enough. He always fed his kids though, they were after all, his top priority.  

The door to the room swung open and a frazzled Luke walked in.

"Oh thank god you are okay," Luke rushed over to Michaels other side and gripped onto him and pulled him into a hug as best as he could. 

Michael sat there for a few seconds just blinking, waiting for Luke to let go. Luke pulled away when he realized Michael wasn't going to hug back.

"Babe?" Luke questioned.

Michael sat there with a boring expression, "I'm sorry, who are you again?"

Lukes face dropped and so did Calums. 

"I-I'm your....boyfriend?" Luke stuttered. This couldn't be happening no. Not to him.

"But I'm straight? How else would I have two kids?" Michael looked back and forth between the two. 

When they didn't say anything Michael smiled.  

"I'm just kidding guys chill," Michael couldn't help but laugh at the prank he just pulled. 

Calum and Luke gave each other a look before looking back at Michael. 

"But Luke Hemmings, my boy, I love you too," Michael raised his arms up, trying to grab onto Luke like a toddler. 

"I love you?" Luke said as he gave in and hugged Michael wanted. 

Michael hummed at his answer and Calum laughed silently to himself. Ashton walked in right then. Stopping when he realized it wasn't just him in the room. 

"I see the whole family has made it in," He stated, winking at Michael. 

Michael caught on, "Just in time too,"

The two laughed as Calum and Luke sat there lost once again. Not understanding the conversation the two were having.

Luke stated something about going to get more chairs to sit in. Leaving the rest of them in there. The smell of food hit Michaels nose, looking at Ashtons hand. They shared another look but instead of the jokingly one it was a more serious one. There was no tension but Calum felt as if he did. 

Luke dragged in two chairs, putting one next to Calum for Ashton and one on the other side of Michael for himself. Once everyone sat down they waited. 

Luke spoke up first, "So um, why are you in here Michael?"

Michael and Ashton shared another look for the hundredth time this hour. Neither of them spoke, but one of them had to sooner or later. Michael picked later. He hated the truth, he hated that his secret was about to go public. He was just afraid that the people he cared about most would leave after they heard it. Because, sadly, some people can't handle the truth. 

You have no idea how badly I wanted Michael to say "But Luke Hemmings, my boy, thats such a shitty way to ask me to be your boyfriend," but two chapters ago I made them boyfriends already and I was disappointed i couldn't use it. Oh well.

"Never give up on yourself. You can give up on other things, but never ever give up on who you are." -KmB