Chapter One

"Take me back now, you bastard!" I bang my hands on the dashboard of the car, and try to open the car door.

"Settle down, Violet," Gus hisses, his eyes focussing on the road ahead. His knuckles are white as he grips the steering wheel tightly. I notice his face is contorted with rage, and tell myself to calm down or I know he'll snap. Although Gus is like a teddy bear, when he looses his temper, it gets nasty.

We sit in silence, tension hanging in the air. I fiddle with my hands in my lap, running through every possible scenario in my head.

"I hope no one's dead," my voice cracks. I can't go through loosing someone again. Gus turns to look at me. His eyes softened, and he pulled the car over.

"Violet, look at me," he said, taking one of my hands out of my lap and giving it a reassuring squeeze. "The boys will be fine. Aiden is good leader, he's strong and smart. He'll make sure they all get out. Zain knows how to handle himself in situations like these, and Jace. Well, you know how Jace is."

I feel my eyes well up, and I look down at my lap again unable to grasp hope until I know for certain everyone's okay.

***

After hours of sitting in silence, I finally find my voice, "Where are we even going?"

"I don't know, but I'm taking you as far away from that house as possible." Gus looks deep in thought, his mind elsewhere.

"I want to go back," I declare, crossing my arms across my chest. I had finished wallowing in self-pity and fear.

"No. We wait until Aiden call– " Gus is cut off my the sound of his phone ringing.

I grab the phone from his hands before he has a change to answer and hold it up to my ear. "Aiden! Aiden is everyone okay?" I rush.

I hear him suck in a deep breath before replying, "Everyone's alright. Zain was shot, but he'll be fine. We got a few of the Rats though." He sounds exhausted.

"Fuck!"

"What? What's happened?" Gus' hard resolve cracked, showing worry for his comrades.

"Zain was shot. No one else was hurt, apart from the Rats. Aiden said he will be fine."

"Where did he get shot?" Gus' brow creases.

"The shoulder," I respond after asking Aiden.

"Aiden, can we please come home now?" I whine into the phone.

There's a silent pause on the other end of the line, and I can tell he's mulling the situation over in his head. "Fine, but make sure Gus takes the back roads. I don't want to risk you two being seen. The Rats could still be out there."

"Yes we'll be safe I promise." I say goodbye before hanging up the phone and update Gus. "Let me drive, you know we'll get home sooner," I demand.

"Shut your mouth!" Gus yells.

***

"Where's Zain? Is he alright?" I burst through the garage door towards the living room. Zain is lying down on the coach, his shoulder heavily bandaged. His face is pale, but still stoic.