Twenty

When I got back home Pete was asleep on the couch.  I covered him with a blanket feeling so sad and sorry for him.  He didn't deserve this.  Not
for falling in love.  His phone rang loudly which woke him up.  He sat up  and stared at me while putting the phone to his ear.

"Hello?" he asked.  His lips pinched themselves shut.  "Yes" he said.  He stared at me again "A-are you sure?  He did?" he smiled "Yes sir, thank you.  And yes he will, I know he will.  Thank you so much, I can't thank you enough.  Goodbye" he hung up.

"Who was it?" I asked.

"You really talked to Mr. Low for me?" he asked smiling "He gave me my job back, he said it'd all be okay"

"I want you to be happy, and your job makes you happy"

"What the hell I love you so much!" He yelled happily. He grabbed my shirt and pulled me on top of him. I fell over the side of the couch. He grabbed my waist holding me tightly "I love you so much, but you have to come back to school"

"I figured" I groaned.
-----
All day everyone stared at me weird. I had three people start whispering and a few came up to me and told me they supported me. Ashley's class was the only class I felt safe in because I had a lot of people glaring at me. Why? Probably because now everyone knew I was gay. Someone slammed their shoulder into me "Teachers pet" he grumbled. I rolled my eyes and kept walking.

"Patrick!" I turned around. Ashlee ran over to me smiling "Hey, how's the day going?"

"Why is everyone so pissed?" I asked looking around.

"They think he gave you good grades because you had sex with him" she said walking with me to Petes class. "You'll be okay, most of the school is on your side anyway" she smiled when we reached the door. I felt like I was gonna throw up. "Good luck" he hugged me tightly. I hugged back. She ran after her boyfriend. I took a deep breath and walked into the class. Everyone looked over at me. They all watched me stand awkwardly in the doorway.

"You're late" Pete said.

"I'm trying not to throw up" I mumbled.

"Come here" He said waving me over. I walked over to him. He was standing in the front of the room. "Alright, I know you guys have questions. Hell, I'd have some questions. So, ask us questions. Keep em nice though okay?" Everyone raised there hand. I dropped my bag on the floor and sighed. I pointed to a girl in a blue shirt.

"My questions for Patrick" she said.

"Okay" I said awkwardly.

"Did it weird you out to have a crush on your teacher?" she asked. I raised my eyebrows.

"Uhm, no. Not really, I knew him as more than just a teacher. He helped me and he cared about me. We hung out and then I fell in love. Nothing weird" I shrugged. She lowered her hand. Pete pointed to a guy in a black shirt.

"Do you guys live together?" he asked.

"Yes, we do" Pete said. I pointed to a girl in a yellow shirt.

"Do you give Patrick good grades because of your relationship?"

"No. I've even failed him a few times"

"And none of this was to get a good grade" I said "I actually do love him, I don't care about my grade I care about Pete"

"Who tops!?" someone yelled. The class started to laugh. I pressed my head into Petes shoulder to hide my face.

"Settle!" Pete yelled. "If you don't have anymore serious questions then we'll end this now!" Everyone shut their mouths immediately. That was the first time Pete yelled at us. "Patrick" He said gently. I pulled my head from his shoulder. Everyone stared at me and put their hands back up.

"You" I said pointing.

"Are you two getting married?" she asked. I shook my head.

"Not yet" I said.

"Last question" Pete said crossing his arms.

"We don't want a new english teacher, are you staying?" a boy asked.

"I'm staying" Pete mumbled. Everyone nodded. "I have a meeting today after school with some teachers who probably wanna tell me why they think I'm wrong and why they believe I should he fired and then give me a set of stupid bullshit rules to follow. But, I'm staying" It got silent. I looked up at at Pete who looked like he was ready to punch someone. I knew it was probably inappropriate, but I hugged him tightly. "Patrick" he said. I ignored him and hugged tighter. He placed his chin on top of my head hugging me back. Everyone awed behind us. I closed my eyes trying to pretend like it was just us.
-----
I was snuggled up in his lap after school. I hated having class and being around him for almost an hour, but not being able to touch him. He was holding me tightly. I was trying to sleep, I think he was watching me, but I had my eyes shut so I didn't know.

"Pete" Someone said just as I was drifting. I opened my eyes and turned around. "Hi Patrick, sorry" Mr. Low said "But, it's time for your meeting" Pete looked down at me.

"I'll go to Ashley's" I mumbled.

"Alright" Pete said.
-----
"So he's in a meeting?" Ashley asked.  We were painting her walls together.  She said the room was too blan.  "He's been there for an hour"

"How long do meetings usually take?" I asked dipping the brush in the blue paint.

"Fifteen minutes to a half hour" she said.  I shrugged. 

"Patrick" I jumped forward and dropped my paintbrush.  We both looked back at Pete.  "Sorry" he said.

"It's cool, come in" Ashley smiled.  The other Ashlee walked out of the back room with more paint.

"Hi Pete!" she said happily.  I picked my brush up trying to finish up the bit I was on.  I walked back to stare at it.  I only painted a paint palette and brush.

"It looks horrible" I said. 

"It looks amazing!" Ashley said.

"No, it sucks" I whined "Ugh, I'll never get into the art school I wanna get into.  I suck"

"I got a letter from them shit!" Ashley dropped her brush and ran to her desk "I meant to tell you!  But, with all this Pete drama I totally forgot!" She pulled am envelope out of her desk.

"Wait what?" Pete asked.

"I sent Patricks portfolio to an art school thats only about a half hour away.  It's the best in the area" Ashley explained to him.

"Why didn't you tell me?" he asked.

"Because if I didn't get in, I wouldn't want you do be disappointed in me" I said frowning.

"I'm proud of you all the time Patrick" He said.  We all gathered around Ashleys desk.  Ashlee grabbed my hand and squeezed it smiling at me.  I squeezed back. 

"Okay" Ashley whispered.  She opened up the letter slowly.  She unfolded the paper making my stomach turn.  "Dear Mr. Stump, Thank you for the  submission of your wonderful portfolio.  We are pleased to announce your acceptance to the Willow School Of Arts!" she yelled.  They all cheered happily. 

"Oh my god" I whispered.  I laughed and hugged Pete tightly.  Then I hugged both Ashlee and Ashley.  Everything was going really good.