Ch2: School

Lily looked up at the tall, intimidating building, they called 'school'. She had never been to a school. Though Ms. Clarence, the orphanage caretaker and few other teachers taught them English, arithmetic, basic science and culinary skills. And she did read in the library at the orphanage.

But she had never been to real school.

Peter had laughed aloud when she had confessed that to him.

He couldn't believe how anyone would not have attended school.

Nevertheless, he had told her some basic things about school.

About how they have different teachers, teaching different subjects and exams at the end of each year. Then, he started lecturing her on which subjects were boring, which teachers he hated and some the pranks he played on them.

Lily felt a bit relieved to know that the school refrained from beating but gave detentions as a form of punishment.

What worried her most were the tests and exams Peter had listed. She was afraid she would fail the tests (which were difficult according to Peter and one could only pass them if they had read everything) and would be behind everyone.

Peter was already a year ahead of her. So, when he told her they wouldn't have any classes together, her heart sank a little. But he promised to see her between periods and at lunch break.

Lily walked up the staires to the School building. She squeezed Peter's hand when they reached the office and Peter had to leave her there with their parents as he walked off to his first class of the day.

''Hey, Lily. I'll see you at lunch. Okay?'' he said walking away.

Lily nodded in reply.

After collecting her books and time table. Mr. And Mrs. Montague wished her good luck and walked her to her first class. English.

''You'll enjoy it, Lily. Just don't be afraid,'' Mrs.Montague kissed her cheek.

''And when the school gets over we'll go get some ice-cream,'' added Mr. Montague.

Ice cream made Lily smile and look up to Mr. Montague. ''sure, Daddy.'' she said hugging him. Mr. Montague's smile was a mile wide. Finally, his little girl was starting to open up and let them in.

----

English seemed to be Lily's favourite class so far. She answered all the questions the teacher asked and was happy to see the teacher appreciating her.
Maths was horrible, she didn't know Fractions nor factors and struggled to keep up with the teacher.
Science was interesting. She finally understood why the rain always falls down. It was because of gravity. She liked that word. And thanked Newton, the good person who had discovered it.

She was eager to tell Peter everything and walked excitedly to the lunch room.

------

Peter was sitting with his friends at his usual table, looking around for Lily.

''Hey, Pete, you said you wanted us to meet your sister,'' Sabrina asked across him.

''Yeah, where is she?'' Cody asked from beside him.

''I don't know. I'm looking for her,'' Peter replied craning his neck to look at the double doors.

''Hey what does she look like. Maybe we can help find her,'' Zach said.

''She is wearing a pretty pink dress. And she is short and thin with a brown ponytail.''

''Is that her?'' Sabrina gasped.

Peter turned around to see a girl climb up through the cafeteria window. As soon as the girl saw Peter, she came running towards him.

''Peter, look what I found,'' she came shouting to their table. ''gravity doesn't work on it.''
She said placing a green lizard on the table. The lizard hurriedly scattered under the table causing everyone to jump up.

''Eww,'' Sabrina shrieked. Making Meg, her best friend drop her juice in fright. The table was in chaos as the girls shrieked and the guys trying to find where it ran off.

Lily finally spotted it and grabbed it from the floor.

The entire table looked at Lily in horror as held the lizard in her small hand.

''Why would you bring that here?!'' it was Peter who asked first.

''I saw it in the garden, hanging upside down. I wanted to show it to you-''

''Show, that insect to Pete,'' Sabrina cried. ''Are you crazy?''

''It's not an insec-''

''She is weird.'' commented Meg.

''And shabbily dressed,'' Zach pointed out to the tattered end of her pink dress.

''It got caught in bushes,'' Lily said, looking down.

''What is going on here?'' it was the cafeteria lady who had walked up to see the commotion on hearing Sabrina and Meg's cries.

''Miss, she brought a lizard in here.'' Sabrina complained.

The lady looked at lady and her face hardened. ''Upto some prank, are we?''

''No, I was-'' Lily started.

''You can tell your story to the principal,'' she said grabbing Lily's arm.

Her eyes widened. Peter had said students who don't follow rules get sent to principal's office for punishment.

Her eyes teared up as she looked at Peter. ''Peter, please, I don't want to go to the principal's office.''

Peter shook his head. ''you cannot behave here like you do at home, Lily. You cannot bring lizards in. See, you frightened my friends and embarrassed me.''

Hearing that broke Lily's heart.

With tears streaming down her eyes she was dragged to the principal's office.

She never wanted her first day to go this way.

------