Chapter 3-Unveiled

"Did you see that?" I asked, my voice quavering. I had no doubts that it was the same thing as last time. That thing in the forest when I was walking to Wendy's house. However, my sense of self-preservation told me otherwise. Fire alarms were ringing in my brain, and I turned into sweaty/shaking/wetting-pants Dorrie instead of normal/cool Dorrie.

"See what?" Tamry answered, not looking up from her phone.

"Th-that thing in the forest."

"You mean a deer?" asked Charlie.

"No! I swear it wasn't a deer. It's much bigger."

"Probably dad," Charlie said, nonchalantly.

Tamry looked up from her phone for a milisecond. "We didn't ask him to come tonight."

"We didn't?"

"No."

Charlie glanced around, his demeanor shifting. His mouth puckered up, and his legs grew rigid. "Then...that's not dad."

All was quiet for a second. Tamry clicked her phone off and pocketed it. She looked around warily, and shook her head. "I'm out of here. This is getting too creepy."

"Yeah, so'm I," Charlie muttered. Both melted into the trees, and before I knew it, I was alone.

"Guys? Guys!"

I was alone. 

I was truly, truly alone.

Breathing heavily, I turned to the trees. Maybe I wouldn't get dismembered if I ran really quickly to the fort. Another terrifing roar echoed through the air, bouncing off trees and disorienting me. I couldn't tell where it was coming from, and for all I knew, it could have been three feet away. Terror quickly flooded into my brain, and it sent signals all throughout my body, like a sudden typhoon. Everything was on overdrive as I lept over a log and sped towards the fort.

But of course, my body failed me.

I was at least a good half mile away, which wasn't that far now that I think about it. But try running half a mile with obstacles such as trees and rocks in the way. It didn't help either that I was running uphill, my shoes catching on roots and pebbles on the ground. My eyesight was terrible, as my flashlight was bouncing around wildly, not really providing any steady light. Plus, I was getting winded. Great. I started to imagine what my funeral was going to be like. My mother, in the pews of our church, holding kleenex to her irritable nose while Pastor Oatson read my eulogy.

Dorrie Kelp, aged thirteen, died a horrible, bloody death in the rural town of Gravity Falls because her mother made her spend quality time with her cousin. She will be missed. Amen.

My legacy.

For some strange, stupid reason, just imagining this brought a flurry of tears to my eyes. I blinked them away, as they were impeding my vision, but more just sprang up to take the place of the fallen. One good thing happened though, as my tears turned to anger. So, that was my legacy. Just a thirteen year old girl who disappeared quickly because of a monster in the woods. My legs pumped faster, even though my jeans threatened to rip at the seams. I would live. I would outrun this monster, and then stay out of the woods forever. I would live my life, and it was as simple as that.

I refused to die.

"Wendy! Dipper! Mabel! Help!" I yelled with all my might. For a few horrible seconds, nothing happened. I didn't even know where I was running, as long as I stayed ahead of whatever was chasing me.

Then, a light shone in the bushes about 50 yards ahead to my left. "Dorrie?" I heard Mabel ask.

"Here!" I screamed, my voice breaking with a mixture of relief and fright. I veered sharply to my left and dove into the bushes, feeling safe. Which was probably as futile as hiding under your blankets at night when it's dark and there's a serial killer. It doesn't help you at all, you just feel safer because of the familiarity.

"Dorrie! Are you okay?" Mabel cried.

"N-no," I whimpered. I pointed an unsteady finger into the woods. "There's something chasing me."

Mabel immediately brightened. "It's Bigfoot!" She turned to Dipper, who was walking over to see what had happened. "Dipper! Dorrie found Bigfoot!"

Dipper swung around the corner, his eyes wide and open for any sign of Bigfoot. "Where?" he asked, the desperation in his voice unmistakeable.

"S-somewhere behind me!" Right as I screamed, a huge crash reverberated throughout the woods. The black shape loped through the treees and stopped. It was at the top of a small hill, high enough to give it an advantage, and low enough so it could merely pounce and kill us all.

"Dude!" Soos moaned, looking up at the tall shape. He flattened the brim of his hat over his head, a look of distress plainly written on his face. His little buckteeth showed, and his eyebrows were drawn low over his head. "What do we do?" he asked Dipper.

Dipper didn't notice, he was too busy taking pictures of Bigfoot. "YEAH!" he shouted, dancing around and taking shots of it from all angles. As for Bigfoot, it started to rise on two feet, stretching it's back up to the sky, the monsterous head as colossal as a mountain. His shoulders were as big and bulky as pillows, his arms like thick cable wires that ended in hands as giant as catcher's mitts, with nails like scythes. It was a wonder that I could have outrun the thing at all. I must have had a massive headstart.

"Dipper!" Mabel and Soos shouted. "We have to go!"

The churning in my belly agreed. "Dude! That thing could kill us!"

"Don't worry!" Dipper shouted. "I have something to repel it!" He took out a handful of leaves and dangled them in the air. "The book says this will keep the monster away. Bigfoot is deathly alergic to..."

"Catnip?" I asked, glancing at the dark green leaf.

"Yep!" Dipper said, shaking it in front of him. "Back! Back!" he shouted.

That's when everything went wrong.