Chap. 6 - Hold Me Closer

It had been two days since Connor and I had decided to stop seeing each other during the day and it had felt like hell. Firstly, I felt more alone than ever. I had not realized how much Connor's company was making the day shorter and funnier. Even seeing him smile at me during the most random moment of the days was something I missed. Secondly, the others were suspicious about the sudden change of behavior between us. They were sure I had done something and wanted me to confess it. I knew they had pressured Connor too because he had told me so the day before. He had been clearly annoyed by it and I suspected him of already planning a prank on them. Not that I would stop him from doing it. It was already hard enough to avoid him because of my curse, heartbreaking even, so I could not take having to deal with the others' curiosity too.

The tension we both felt during the days with this sudden attention was to be felt too during our times on the beach. We spend more times talking than laughing, and even when we did, it was different. Not as joyful. I could also feel something was bugging him and it was driving me crazy not to know what.

Today had been even harder to go by. Feeling the others closing in on us, we had decided not to see each other during the lunch break. We were afraid one of them would decide to follow us and sneak up on us. Those times on the beach were precious for the both of us and we could not risk another person knowing about it. Because of my curse of course, but also because it was a peaceful parenthesis when we could be together.

So, as I went back to the armory at the end of the day to put my bow and arrows away, I could feel despair growing inside me. I had spent more time training so that I could forget about this awful day and it was only when my fingers were bleeding that I finally stopped. The others demigods had went away more than an hour ago and I was alone. The armory was quiet and peaceful and I enjoyed it while I could.

My eyes closed, I took a deep breath. That's when I heard the door creaking behind me. It made me sighed. Even there, I could not be alone.

But when I felt arms wrapping around my waist and a chest pressing against my back, I felt my worries being lifted away and I smiled subconsciously. Connor's face buried in my neck, he mumbled:

"I couldn't wait 'till tomorrow."

I bit my bottom lip; it was the first he was doing that, taking me into his arms, but it felt so natural I leant against his chest. I could feel his lips brushing against my skin and I felt shivers running down my spine. Closing my eyes, I let myself soothed in his arms. We stayed silent, in this embrace for a few minutes. It felt good; we did not need anything else. I was thankful that he came. I knew being with him was making me happier, but I had never realized how much. I could feel my body relaxed, the bad memories of the day disappeared and the walls I had been building around me collapsed.

"Thank you." I whispered after a few minutes.

Connor loosened his grip on my waist and I opened my eyes, sadden it was already coming to an end. I turned around to face him and was mesmerized by his beautiful blue eyes. His brown hair was a mess on his head and I run my hand in his curls to put back some order in it.

Connor flashed a smile at me, before tightening his hold on me and pulling me back to his chest. I pressed my hands against his ribs and listened to his heart beating rapidly.

"Guess who got herself trapped in the bathroom for two hours this morning?" Connor asked playfully, his face buried in my hair.

"Kelly." I answered, referring to one of the Aphrodite's girl that was a real pain in the ass most of the days, not only with me, but with everyone. "I heard about it."

"Did you know she had to promise Travis a back and feet massage to get out of it?"

"No way?" I asked incredulous. It was totally the brother's type to trap someone into a place and promise them to get them out if they did something for them. But thinking about Kelly massaging Travis' feet was by far the greatest thing I had heard all day long. It made me laugh.

"I missed that." Connor whispered, one of his hands moving up and down my back slowly and tenderly.

"I missed it too." I answered, suddenly very serious.

"We can't continue like this forever." Connor finally said after a few seconds of silence.

It made my heart break in my chest.

"There's not much we can do."

Connor did not answer and I stiffened. I did not want him to do something stupid or reckless because of me.

"Connor, promise me you won't do anything dangerous."

It was Connor's turn to stiffened, but he promised nonetheless.

We stayed in this embrace for a few more minutes, Connor trying his hardest to make me laugh one more time, but I was too worried. I knew him, he had something in the back of his mind, and it probably was something dangerous. I did not want to lose him, why could not he understand that? I made the effort of laughing one more time when I heard desperation creeping in his voice, but my heart was not in it and I figured he had realized it. Still, he pretended not to and kissed me goodbye by brushing his lips against my cheek, leaving me alone again.