"sure as the stars shine above"

Song: "Please Come Home for Christmas" by the Eagles

"Zayn! Get up and help me!" Niall whined, stamping his feet. He was currently trying to wrap some lights around the top of their tree, but was too short and couldn't reach. He had already done the stockings and lit the candles without Zayn's assistance, but doing the tree with someone he loved was very important to him.

Zayn sat laughing on the sofa, feeling not sorry at all that he wasn't helping. He quite liked watching Niall decorate, mostly due to the fact that he was wearing the pants he knew Zayn liked.

"No thanks, babe. I think I'm good!" Zayn clutched his stomach as he laughed, the other hand wrapped around his phone.

"Zayn!" Niall huffed and stamped his foot a little, his face softening after a second. "Please?" He knew Zayn would do anything he asked, but right now Zayn was being a great big lump of coal and was actively refusing to help him in any way.

Zayn tried to resist Niall's pout, but found himself rising from the sofa anyway; he sure did love this boy. Niall grinned and clapped his hands as soon as Zayn took the bunch of lights from him. He threw strings of lights around the top of their tree with ease, and tucked the end in among some branches when he was finished. Niall handed him some sparkly tinsel next, and gently slapped his arm when he began to groan about it.

"Zayn, stop. It looks nice like that!" Niall said, stepping away to look at the tree in all its glory. He clasped his hands under his chin, wondering what they were forgetting when he suddenly remembered. "Oh, the star!"

Niall bent down to dig around in a box at his feet, and brandished their star about in the air when he found it. He gently handed it over to Zayn, who placed it on top with ease. Niall plugged in the Christmas tree lights and flicked off the sitting room lamps; in spite of all his complaining, Zayn had to admit that seeing that old tree lit up did something to his heart.

Niall, for all his excitement, stood back to admire his work in silence. All the lights of the tree reflected back in his blue eyes, which made Zayn wrap an arm around his shoulders and press a gentle kiss to his temple. "You did a really nice job, baby. It looks good. Really good." He admitted, allowing himself to let a small smile grace his face.

Niall turned to look at him, taking great care not to knock Zayn's arm off. He had a knowing, loving look in his eye that absolutely melted Zayn's heart. "Thank you, Z. Means a lot."

Zayn kissed his forehead in reply, one of those tender ones that gave him butterflies in his tummy, simply due to the overwhelming amount of love that he felt for the blue eyed boy next to him. Christmas had always been just a holiday to him before - it meant nothing special - but spending it with Niall made him feel something he had not felt in a very long time.

"Thank you, baby." He spoke so low Niall almost didn't hear him.

"I-for what?" Niall turned to him, curious.

Zayn's heart started to beat out of his chest; he usually wasn't so emotional, and to love someone so dearly as he did Niall felt strange to him. He had never felt a love like he did when he was with Niall. Feeling nervous, he pointedly looked away from his boyfriend. "Dunno. For everything, I guess."

Niall tensed his arm around Zayn's skinny waist and tugged him closer, a warm feeling - something like Christmas joy - spreading in chest. "Z," he smiled. He knew his boyfriend felt uncomfortable doing this, unveiling his feelings and letting himself be vulnerable, so he didn't question him further. "Of course. I love you. Sure as the stars above, I do."

"Just - just thank you for being the best thing to happen to me in a while. Thank you for - for helping me to love Christmas. Again." He blushed and felt embarrassment spread across his face. Zayn turned away, but feeling Niall's grip tighten around his middle, he stopped.

Zayn, seeing his Niall's warm smile, let himself be cuddled. Niall hugged him around the neck, and Zayn, even though he was taller, burrowed under Niall's chin. Niall kissed him soft and sweet, cupping his bearded cheeks in both hands.

It had been so hard for Zayn to love someone again, and to have someone love him back just as much that he had pushed away some of the people who genuinely cared for him. Then Niall came and turned his whole world on its head; he had wormed his way into Zayn's heart and his life, and he wouldn't have it any other way. Niall had loved him and still did love him unyieldingly, taking all his flaws as they were and softening all the hard and calloused edges. Niall had taught him many things, including how to love Christmas again, but most importantly Niall taught him how to love, and how to feel loved.