Chapter 3

Chapter 3

Nico

                So I ended up staying in the Burrow days before September first. It wasn’t so bad. After Mr. Weasley had put an expansion charm on the room, Ron, Harry, the twins and I managed to fit into the room comfortably. We all slept on sleeping bags instead of the bed, making it seem like we were camping.

                I woke up early the next day, with Fred kicking me in a small part of my back…which was already bruised to begin with. I stared at the ceiling at around seven in the morning unable to go back to sleep.

                I got so used to having to wake up this early everyday that I couldn’t even get back to sleep when I could sleep in.  I sighed then went downstairs. I found Mrs. Weasley making breakfast.

                “Good Morning, dearie.” She said. “Did you sleep well?”

                “Yes, Mrs. Weasley.” I said “Thanks for having me over.”

                “It’s no problem”  she said “Breakfast will be done in a while.”

                “You need some help?”

                “Don’t worry, I can handle it.”

                I insisted on helping her. She declined. But instead I just set the table.

                When it turned eight some of the Weasleys were already awake. Mr. Weasley, Percy, Ginny and Hermione were already at the table.

                “So Nico where have you been? Why weren’t you at school last year?” Ginny asked

                “I had more important things to do.”

                “More important than you education?” Percy asked “What could be more important than your future?”

                “The fate of the world, my life, the lives of innocent people to name a few.” I replied. “School really wasn’t in the top of my list. It would be a miracle if I lived over sixteen.”

                “Don’t think like that.” Hermione said. “There are people who would protect you. Adults, those older than you.”

                “Where I come from we learn to fend for ourselves before we reach thirteen years old” I said “I have been fending for myself since I was ten.”

                “What about your parents?” Mr. Weasley asked curiously. “Surely there is someone who takes care of you.”

                “My mom is dead. My dad is too busy. My sister who took care of me for so long died in an accident.”

                “I’m so sorry.”

                “It’s fine. I’ve learned to cope with it. Most of us did.”

                “When did you get a tattoo?” Ginny noted. “I didn’t remember that there before.”

                I glanced over to my left arm where the SPQR tattoo was burned into my skin. A glyph much like the one on Hazel’s with a mark for one year of service in the legion.

                “This is a mark of the legion. A sign of my part as an army and of my heritage.” I said “The glyph is the symbol of my father in the army. If you see anyone with this mark on their forearm in the legion that is probably one of my siblings or a relative. SPQR, Senatus Populusque Romanus, The Senate and the people of Rome. It’s the motto of Rome. And the stripes at the bottom is the number of years that I have served the legion.”