Chapter 1

(Aspen)

         I'm so happy that I volunteered as tribute for this years games. Now no one has to go in the games but me. It is not like I have any thing to live for after my parent's death. I have no money at all but I refuse to go into prostitution. At least now I have the chance to win and then get the benefits. When I got up on stage and saw the male tribute for district 7 I just about died but in a good way. I have never seen this man before. He is gorgeous. Why couldn't it have been someone ugly so at least I would be able to concentrate. The next thing I know he makes eye contact with me and I feel like I might faint right here. I am whisked away into the building behind me before I realize what is going on.

         I am in this room. The room where goodbyes are supposed to be made. I doubt anyone will visit me before its time to leave. To my surprise the door opens and in comes this young girl. If I remember correctly it is the girl I volunteered for. She walks over to me and gives me a bigger hug than I received when my parents were alive. The girl says "thanks Aspen good luck in the games. Win for me please." This shocks me. After years of being alone someone actually cares if I live or die. She leaves abruptly without even telling me her name. Each year I took what the capitol offered to get the grain that kept me alive. I am 18 this year and never got picked so I guess you could say the odds were slightly in my favor but I volunteered to save a child's life. Someone opening the door interrupted my thoughts. I assumed it was the peacekeepers telling me that my time was up and it was time to leave but I was wrong. It was my friend I guess you could say. His name was Jonathan; he was the only person who talked to me through out my miserable life. He gave me hope every day that it would and could only get better. He said nothing, just gave me a hug and left. He was never one for long goodbyes. The peacekeeper walks in, tells me its time to leave, and then leads me out of the room.

         They take me on this train. Everything inside is elaborate. It's unlike anything I have ever seen. The pink skinned lady was sitting on one of the couches. I could never pull off having pink skin. Maybe that's what separates us from those in the capital. We are commoners in there eyes. Not good enough for the luxuries or even getting the treatment we deserve. She stands up, in a welcoming manner. She hugs me. Wow! My third hug today, that's more than I get in a year. I bet its because im about to go into an arena to fight to the death and they are pity hugs. I don't do well with pity. I have lived this long on my own. I might be able to survive the games for the girl I volunteered for. I can only hope. There is someone else on the couch I haven't seen him in district 7 at all. What's he doing here? It's the man who made eye contact with me during the reaping. He's beautiful. He looks over to me, and smiles. And it wasn't a sad smile it was one of pure excitement. Its as if he can read minds. He looks at me just as im thinking about him. He stands up as well. Only he doesn't hug me. He looks me in the eyes. This action strikes so much emotion in me it scares me. He says "I'm Castiel an angel of the lord. And what would your name be beautiful?" I answer "Aspen. Its nice meeting you. I haven't seen you around." He looks surprised to hear me say this. Maybe he doesn't want to talk about it. Wait an angel of the lord. Who is this guy? He puts his hand out for me to shake, sense we just met. I shake his hand then sit on one of the couches thinking about what just happened. Is he really an angel? He sits beside me. His close proximity makes it difficult to think let alone concentrate. I wonder if he feels the same or even knows the effect that he has on me. I doubt he does. I don't know why I'm doing this to my self. We are going to fight each other to the death. If I have that in mind then maybe I can survive even being in the same room as Castiel. Maybe he feels the same about me. What am I thinking? There's no way that this handsome man standing in front of me even remotely has any feelings for me. This is going to be a long train ride.

         The lady introduces herself "My name is Periwinkle but you can call me Peri". The three of us sit together on one of the couches. I don't really pay attention to the conversation that's going on. My mind is to busy thinking about Castiel who is sitting right beside me. Im sure that my heart is beating loud enough that he can hear it. That cant be good. This man walks in and announces, "Hello I am your mentor Liam Hemsworth. How do you feel about the upcoming games?" I answer first "Determined" and Castiel replies "Angry. I wish that nobody had to fight to the death all in the pleasure of the capital." Everybody shares an understanding look. I am especially against the games but im glad it got me out of the hellhole that I live in. plus I would have never met Cas. Seriously must my every thought of mine go back to him? It's not that im complaining I just need to get my head in the games to survive. It's getting late so we all decide to get to our quarters.