Speed Bump.

Permanence, perseverance and persistence in spite of all obstacles, discouragements, and impossibilities: It is this, that in all things distinguishes the strong soul from the weak. ~ Thomas Carlyle

Jessica never wanted to be the bad guy. But in her defense, it really wasn't fair. Seth was hers. Not Ray's. Hers. The imprinter and imprintee's souls are bound. She feels the pull just as much as he does and knows the importance of the tribes traditions just as much as he does. So why was he acting like none of it mattered? His center of gravity was her so why in the hell was he chasing after some girl who didn't care if she hurt him. It wasn't fair, he acted like this affected him the most but it killed her. 

And when Seth and Ray showed up at her door one day, it took every ounce of self control she has ever had to not jump Ray and start beating the crap out of her on her front yard. Although Seth might have jumped in to stop her, he was doing all kinds of crazy things these days. But she knew he would have been disappointed in her for sure and she needed him to think she was perfect. 

"Can we come in?" Seth asked, trying to sound confident but also not wanting to offend her. 

"No." Jessica stated through gritted teeth. "What is she doing here?" She tried to sound less upset and more surprised like she didn't know why they were here together, even though she did. 

"Please, Jess, I need you to do something for me." Seth reached over to Ray, putting a comforting arm around her which only made Jessica more upset. "You already know I don't love you. I love Ray. And I need you to tell me you don't need me to love you , so I can be free to be with Ray, without the burden of the imprint." He was begging at this point.  

"No." She smirked, her voice was light and her smile was smug.

"Excuse me?" Ray asked, eyebrows narrowed. 

"You heard me." Jessica took a menacing step forward, out of the doorway, causing Ray to take a nervous step back, which just made Jessica feel more powerful. "I said no." She turned to Seth, and took his large hands in hers. "Seth, I love you more than anything. You want me to tell you I don't need you but I can't do that, because I do need you. I need you to love me and hold me and be with me." 

While Ray rolled her eyes and tried to stop herself from gagging, Seth's eyes glazed over. Jessica's touch put him in a trance and her voice was like a spell that could make him do anything. 

"Seth?" Ray called, trying to get his attention. Her voice echoed through his mind, unlike Jessica's whose was clear and concise. 

"She needs me." Seth mumbled like an idiot. Part of him was telling himself to stay outside put another part of him took control and led him inside the house, leaving Riane outside to cry.