Satsu

"SATSU!"

Buffy races down the hall after the younger and slightly faster but less experienced slayer she slept with not more than a week ago.

"Satsu, please... please stop..."

The two slayers eventually come to a stop when Buffy manages to catch up and get in front of Satsu.

"Okay, thanks, I... wow, you're really getting faster at the whole running thing. Good job."

Satsu stands firmly in front of her mentor and sudden lover with a glare angrier than she'd ever felt before.

"Motivation is key. You taught me that."

All of the sudden, the air seems to get thicker in the seemingly darker hall they're standing in.

"Right, uh, right... well, good job then. You really know your stuff."

Satsu's stance becomes more defensive as the seconds tick by.

"Apparently I have a lot to learn though."

A moment of silence happens with Satsu's comment and the air seems to get less friendly when it does. Buffy tries to find the words to explain what happened a few minutes ago.

"Okay, uh, look, uh... I...."

Suddenly the words 'I'm sorry' seem like the worst possible things that could come out of Buffy's mouth, which had been the plan right up until that point.

"Uh... okay, um... it's, it's not what it looks like."

Apparently that was also the wrong thing to say because Satsu's expression gets even less positive than it was before.

"It's not?"

"No, no it's not. It's really not. I..."

Again the words 'I'm sorry' come up and again it's the worst possible idea Buffy can have.

"What is it then?"

"W-... see... uh... I know it's not what it seems to be but... uh, how much of what happened did you actually see?"

Satsu crosses her arms over her chest but her angry tone seems to lessen a little with the addition of sadness behind it.

"I saw enough."

Buffy shifts her weight uncomfortably trying desperately to make sure that whatever she says next doesn't set the young slayer off.

"Uh, okay, well, umm... did you at least see the part about how I was talking about us? That we were talking about what happened between you and me when, well, it happened."

The defensive-ness of Satsu's stance loosens by a lot because of Buffy's words.

"You were?"

"Y-yeah, I... Faith and I were talking about what you and me have together before you showed up like that."

A glimmer of hope appears on Satsu's face all of the sudden and Buffy assumes the best.

"And we have something worth talking about?"

Buffy attempts to smile at the favorable turn of events.

"Well, yeah..."

Satsu is now the one to smile at the turn of events.

"Like what?"

The smile on Buffy's face suddenly goes away at the answer she's about to give as she looks down at the floor and rubs the back of her head.

"Uh... I don't know?"

Instantly, the defensive-ness of Satsu's stance is back, worse than ever.

"But... but that's what we were talking about before what you probably saw. I was telling her how I didn't know what I'm feeling for you but also about how good you make me feel and that I like being around you. Faith was trying to give me advice on what to do."

That doesn't make things better.

"The way I saw it, she wasn't the only one giving things."

"Y-n-uh, yeah, I know but uh... she was the one that started that and the next time I see Faith, I'm gonna punch her right in the nose for doing that to you and I may even put her in the hospital again for a couple months or more."

Buffy's words make Satsu smile a little even though she knows that's probably a bad thing to be feeling.

"Really?"

The blonde slayer nods determinedly and gives Satsu a resolved look.

"Absolutely..."

"Everything all right?"

"Go away Faith."

Moments after the words leave her mouth, Buffy cringes and looks at Satsu with her look of absolute anger which goes from Buffy to Faith, to back to Buffy before she turns around and walks away from both of them, not looking back. When she's far enough away, Faith finally speaks again.

"I guess I can take that as a good sign?"

"Shut up Faith."

"Sorry..."

"Just shut up and go away Faith."

Faith stands there silently with Buffy for a few seconds before Buffy says anything.

"Before I do something else that I regret."

It only takes Faith a second to get the picture before she turns around and heads off in the opposite direction of Satsu, leaving Buffy standing alone in the dark, endless hallway of the suddenly dank smelling Scottish castle. She doesn't stand alone for long though, as Xander randomly wanders down the hall. Completely oblivious to anything that might've been going on a few moments ago, he sees Buffy and smiles.

"Hey Buff, what's up? Faith all settled in?"

Buffy rolls her eyes and sighs.

"Yeah, sure whatever..."

Xander instantly picks up on the jovial mood Buffy happens to be at this moment and gets curious.

"You seem to be in an upbeat mood all of the sudden. What's up?"

Buffy looks Xander right in his eye, pure sadness on her face and in her eyes.

"I think I've made the biggest mistake of my life."

Xander raises one eyebrow at Buffy.

"Considering the colossal mistakes you've made in your life, that's a pretty big statement there, Buff. What's up?"

All Buffy can do is smile with sadness at the joking smile on Xander's face and step into the simple hug that he offers willingly. They embrace with nothing but kindness and despite everything Buffy can't help but feel a little better for no reason at all.