A Guide on How to Write an Anxiety Attack

☆ The following is a guide to writing an anxiety attack for your character. This was written by an rph on tumblr and has done research through internet sources. This guide can be helpful to anyone who isn't quite sure what to write, or would like some further information about Anxiety Attacks. This account is not from a person who has experienced Anxiety Attacks from my knowledge. I have also added a couple small notes, ideas, and additional information about anxiety attacks for your convenience.. If you have a suggestion, idea, or something you think should be added, write it down in the comments section! ☆ 

This guide has been taken off of tumblr from the rph thisisjovi ►http://thisisjovi.tumblr.com/post/47302671484/anxiety-attacks-are-experiences-that-can-be additional information was included by myself from the following source(s):► http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anxiety

001 WHAT IS AN ANXIETY ATTACK?

In other words, and medical terms, it's called a panic attack, which is a symptom of an anxiety disorder. It's known to be a terrifying experience, and can occur without any precedence, or prior warnings. Another random note, some confuse it for a heart attack.

People who experience anxiety attacks can all claim different types of symptoms, but overall, the following symptoms are what they, generally, go through.

Symptoms:
Physical
+sweating
+heart racing
+rapid pulse
+feeling faint/as if you are choking
+restlessness
+fatigue
+muscular tension
+problems in concentration

Psychological
+feeling as if you are going crazy
+a (false) sense of danger
+sudden fear of surroundings
+extreme nervousness
+uneasiness

002 SO HOW DO I WRITE IT OUT?

It's definitely difficult trying to find the right words to describe everything that occurs to a person during a panic attack. I'll give you a few tips and tricks for you to correlate into your writing when anxiety strikes your character.

Tip #1 - Know the vocabulary

What do I mean by that? Well you've gotta have the right word choice in order to captivate your reader more in any circumstance. Reasonably, there are certain words in this particular situation that far more fitting that others.

For example: "she was becoming so anxious, she felt like throwing up."

That statement is not necessarily wrong, but it doesn't exactly give off the intensity of an anxiety attack, now does it? Go beyond the surface, dig deep into the mind of that character. Try to put yourself in their shoes, trembling ankles and all. See what you can come up with then.

This is what I came up with: "the level of anxiety was becoming unbearable, leaving her in an excessively paranoid state- a significant lump forming within the cavity of her throat."

Much more effective, no? Always remember, thesaurus.com is your friend. Look up different words for "anxious", but make sure you're using the correct synonyms. You know, the ones that actually fit the context.

Tip #2 - Me, myself, and my character

Be able to somehow connect with your character while they're going through this horrific sequence. If you've ever been stressed, take that and multiply it by a double-digit number and you've got yourself a panic attack. Your character is under complete distress- and you want your reader to believe it. How does it feel like when you, personally, are under pressure? Recognize your own symptoms and put it in writing- Sweaty palms? Darting eyes? What about nervous habits? It'd make sense for your character to have one as well. Also remember, you're character and yourself are different too. You may be outgoing and fun, your character may be quiet. Remember that your character may respond differently to situations but draw from your own personal experiences as well to help you as you write to go deeper.