prologue

"What did you say to her?"

"She's the new recruit."

"What the fuck?" The older sighed at the reply but turned towards the voice nonetheless.

"How many times have I told you not to swear in front of me?" He shook his head before he continued. "I'm going to need you to keep an eye on her."

"You want me to babysit her?" There was an obvious tint of annoyance in the words spoken. "Do I even have a say in this?"

"Not really. You want your dreams to be reality, don't you?" His words didn't sound completely genuine, more like taunting the younger.

"Why do you always use that against me, you old fuck." The younger's tone was just as teasing and lacked the edge an insult would carry.

"Because I can. Now, do as I say and make sure she doesn't know about this." He pointed to the both of them and left no room for argument with his tone of voice. "And I'm not that much older than you."

There was still reluctance to follow the orders given. "How am I even supposed to do this?"

"It'll be easy, I mean you're close to her already." Silence ensued, and no one spoke for a few moments.

"I better see more figures in my bank account after this." The older laughed at the statement but did not give a reply immediately. "It's late. Don't you have class tomorrow?"

"Whatever."

"How's the assignment going, by the way?" The older asked as they walked into the lighted neighborhood streets. The younger shrugged before replying. 

"It's fine. I'm taking it slow like you said I should." The taller hummed in approval. "I don't understand why I can't just poison or shoot him. Wouldn't that be way more efficient?" 

The older merely shook his head and let out a soft chuckle. "Where's the fun in that? It's way more worthwhile  to play around a bit before you dive in for the kill, literally." 

"I guess so." 

"How was your last case, I forgot to ask." 

"Mr Hudson?" The older nodded at the question so the younger continued. "It was okay. More blood than I would have liked but it was still easy to cover up my tracks."

"You're getting good, kid." The younger scowled at the word. 

"I'm not a kid anymore, you old man. I have to go, class tomorrow remember? Remember my money, Stephen." 

The older man's laughter was the only sound heard, echoing in the eerie night as they both went their separate ways.