one

TIME LEFT TO THE MURDER: 12 HOURS, 30 MINUTES

I fixed my hair in the mirror once more before I closed the door behind me, making sure it was locked. I involuntary sighed as I stepped into the elevator. I should be used to waking up this early since I'm the kind of person to take morning classes but I just felt so tired. 

I made a stop at the coffee shop down the road and got myself a breakfast sandwich before going to work. I have been an intern for less than a month and it wasn't as bad as people made it seem but I won't say it's not draining. I used my card to get through security and clocked in with the clock card machine before I found myself at my desk with plenty of time to spare. 

I halfheartedly organized my desk, aware that the table will be a mess again when I started working.  I stacked the papers and put it aside before taking out the sandwich from my bag, deciding to eat before everyone else started arriving. 

Shuffling of feet was heard and I looked up to see a fellow intern walking in with sluggish steps. "Morning, Nick." He replied with a grunt and I was hardly fazed anymore.  He unceremoniously sat down on his chair and switched on his computer. He probably has to sort out Mr. White's schedule for today. 

I quickly finished my breakfast and switched on my computer to check my staff email for anything important. I was sent to the finance department when I started interning but I somehow ended up as Mr White's second secretary slash personal assistant. That also meant that I rarely received any important emails since Nicholas was the actual secretary. 

As soon as the clock hit eight thirty, my boss walked into the office with a cup of coffee in hand. Mr White was a man in his early forties and always wore a vest one size smaller that what actually fit. 

"Good morning, Mr White." I said out of obligation and politeness. He spared me a glance and replied before looking towards Nick. "Morning, Eleanor. Nicholas, can you please bring my schedule as soon as possible."  

"Eleanor," I quickly turned to his direction when I heard my name, "please email Mrs. Lee from the HR department and ask her to send a summary of the business transactions for the past two months." 

"Yes, sir." I immediately got to work and was basically swarmed with tasks until lunch. I looked at the bottom of the monitor screen and realized it was already twelve thirty. After I finished looking through some paperwork and forwarded the email from HR to Mr White, I told Nick that I would be going for my lunch break. 

"Are you going for your lunch break as well?" I asked Nick as I always do before I leave with my bag in hand. 

"I'll go later. You can go ahead first." He didn't even look up to my direction, eyes glued to the paperwork on his table but I wasn't surprised. For the past few weeks that I've known him, he's not one to be chatty or particularly sociable. 

I went through the notifications on my phone as I waited for the elevator to reach my floor. A smile climbed onto my face when I see the messages from the group chat I have with my uni friends. 

Cal: i hate ochem why did i even take this course

Cal: why aren't y'all replying IT'S ALREADY TEN

Cal: except for el she has work 

Ria: u love ochem don't lie 

Ria: also some of us have morning classes u dumbo 

I typed and sent a reply with the smile still present on my face. 

El: i'm going for my lunch break now