Emotionally Unstable

Why are almost all of these female main characters in CP Fanfics suicidal or depressed?

Note: Not trying to offend anyone who is feeling suicidal or depressed.

This issue has been covered a million times before by other books of the same nature, but I felt that I needed to point it out.

You know, it was probably OK the first time someone wrote it. It was probably unique, relatable and interesting.

BUT AFTER 50 MILLION TIMES, IT'S NOT OK ANYMORE!

I'm serious people.

The truth is I honestly really wouldn't have as big a problem with this if it wasn't for the fact that a lot of these authors suck at portraying a character who is depressing/suicidal.

They don't do their research on anything. They just feel like typing up an Emo Sue who cuts for no reason whatsoever, wears band t-shirts all the time, and listens to every single alternative band on the planet. (Again, I'm just making a point.)

This character has been retold again and again and I'm pretty sure people are tired of reading about her. Also, here's something I noticed.

This character is not just limited to this fandom.

Last night, I bravely decided to venture outside of fandom territory and into a new land called 'Teen Fiction.'

At least three books that I read had this same Emo Sue character. Like, really people?

I really thought that if I left the random for a bit, I could escape it but it's everywhere! This just shows the low level of originality on Wattpad these days.

Not to mention that the books I read were Ranked 1, 2 and 3 in Teen Fiction, and they really really do suck terribly.

Anyway, here's how you can improve:

1. Understand that suicide does not always make for an interesting or relatable character. If you're going for the feels aspect, then having a character whose life is great and happy before she meets the Pastas will probably affect the readers more than Emo Sue will.

2. If you just absolutely HAVE to have a suicidal main character, then do your research. Make sure you read articles, watch videos, and try to see what it's like. Don't just assume.

3. If you're character is emo, you don't need to make the point by listing out all her favorite bands. Nobody cares. If song lyrics aren't relevant to your story (and by relevant, I mean they better be really frickin important) then do not put them there.

4. What you think classifies as "emo" really doesn't. Emo is deeper than wearing black clothes and listening to Bring Me The Horizon or whatever. It's more than that. It's a movement.

5. Finally, try to avoid the Emo Sue character unless you're positive that you have something new to bring to the table. If you can manage to revamp  this terrible cliche, then props to you.

Until next time!