Chapter Four: Herd of Boston...

Shaw walked down to the lobby and found Haylen walking slowly with Dogmeat at her side, making sure he was alright to move, but he was mostly humoring her to make her feel better.

Shaw knew better though and whistled for her boy. He yapped like a puppy and forgot Haylen, taking off in a sprint for Shaw, knocking her to the ground as he jumped and hit her chest.

After a tirade of fervent and affectionate licks to the face, Shaw was left in a fit if giggles with Dogmeat laying on her chest in the middle of the floor.

"It's time to go, pal. Little Danser isn't such a bad guy after all, so we'll be coming back to visit Haylen. That way she can spoil you more. I promise," Shaw said as she got up to her feet, going to grab her gear.

"Good luck, you two. And here, take this," Haylen said, holding out a carton box of .308 calibur bullets, "In case you're running low. Your rifle is the real deal," she said and Shaw took them gratefully.

"Thanks, Haylen...remind me to grab a beer with you- no, wait- girl's night. The tacky kind with bullshit gossip and lots of drinking games," Shaw giggled to Haylen and Rhys came out of the offices.

"What're you giggling at?" he questioned.

"Dick jokes," she answered cheekily, "Later, nerds!" Shaw farewelled, "I'll send you guys a post card from Diamond City...maybe a fruit basket. Everyone loves those," she smiled as she headed for the door...

***

Shaw and Dogmeat walked into Boston and immediately regretted opting for the second bridge- if only to avoid raiders-...especially as Shaw caught the smell of rotting flesh and Dogmeat began to growl.

As quickly as they could, they ducked into the nearest building, being forced to go to the top floor and wait as a herd of Ferals, a mile long, crowded the streets.

Shaw wasn't sure of what to do, but she knew one thing. Unless they got distracted, the Ferals would take a day, maybe two to pass by, if they didn't sleep right there, and she couldn't have that. She only had enough food for her and Dogmeat to last another day...as she was supposed to already be in Diamond City by then.

Swiftly, deftly, she searched the room, looking for anything that might help. All she found was a sewing kit, knitting needles and a load of preserved yarn...just her luck that she would be hiding in an old woman's ancient apartment.

"Alright..." she hissed in exasperated annoyance, thinking of what to do.

Knitting needles...

Thread...

Pins and sewing needles...

Yarn...

She had a lighter and a couple of flares, a bit of elastic as well, from a spare set of clothes...

But sending up a flare would alert the entire herd at once...

"Okay...I think I have an idea, but we need to be very quiet, alright?" Shaw whispered to Dogmeat and he bowed his head once in agreement before she got to work.

Once she finished setting things up, she climbed out on to the ledge outside the window, looking back inside to Dogmeat and he whined quietly, worried about his person.

"When I come back in, be ready for hugs...we'll need to move over a few roof tops," she whispered to him and then cupped her hands around her mouth.

"Oooolé! Olé olé olé! Olé! OLÉ!" she chanted like a European at a rugby game and most of the herd turned immediately in her direction.

With that, she climbed back inside and quickly tied Dogmeat to her body securely as she did when repelling, using her lighter to set three strings of yarn on fire, as the rest of the yarn was strung all around the apartment, which made the old dry room go up like a match stick as she ran to an opposite window, taking the rope she had tossed, the hook stuck firmly on the next roof across the street.

Shaw took a leap of faith and swung out, grunting as her back hit wall, protecting Dogmeat. She then climbed the rope, her breath picking up pace as the burning apartment exploded...she regretted her hasty plan then.

The blaze would attract every Ghoul and Super Mutant in Boston...she only prayed they would fight each other and not her...

***

Shaw ran over the connecting roof tops, panting as she heard gurgling hisses in the streets below, holding Dogmeat firmly to her.

The screams of dying Raiders filled her ears at one point, but she didn't care about them, only cringed at the thought of the blood bath...