Chapter Four: Amazingly Fantastically Impossible

"Hey, um, Doctor," Jess wheezed as he gripped her in an embrace.

"Oh, sorry," he apologized, still smiling brightly.

"You know, I think I might have to tell my mom who you are," she called, as the Doctor scurried off. "I mean, if she sees me with you again, I'm afraid she's gonna think I'm having an affair with my so-called teacher or something."

"Affair?" he yelled. "You're fifteen! Who in their right mind would want to have an affair with a fifteen year old?" he said, running back up with some wire, his sonic, and a bunch of other things.

"Doctor," Jess said. "What're you doing?" she asked as he ran - and almost fell - down the steps that led to the engine.

"Trying to fix my TARDIS, what else?" he replied. Jess laid on her stomach and poked her head just beyond the mezzanine. He took some wire and fused it with his sonic onto the engine (or what Jess thought was the engine).

"I really miss this place," Jess started, turning on her back and looking up at the dome ceiling.

"What do you mean?" the Doctor said, flicking hair out of his eyes.

"The décor. This one was my favorite. Very - uh - retro."

Jess listened to the hum of the screwdriver for what felt like forever, until the Doctor let out a cry of joy.

"Finally! Okay, Jessica, step back. This might be very, um, wibbly," he said, as he connected the last wires. They were arranged in disarray, all leading up to the engine. It kind of reminded her of veins in a body all connecting to the heart, the center of most living masterpieces (unless, of course, they had two hearts, which made it better all the more).

There was a crash, and sparks flew everywhere. The lights flickered, and the TARDIS woke up from her slumber. Both the Doctor and Jess smiled brightly, and he grabbed her in a quick embrace.

Jessica felt, for a moment, as if she was going to throw up. Her head seemed extremely heavy, and her palms were instantly clammy. Her heart rate quickened intensively, but it was all gone in a flash, and she couldn't remember why she'd grabbed her stomach in what seemed to be faux pain.

Suddenly, there was a loud pop, and sparks shot out of the wires, the electricity visible. The Doctor hurried over and tried to fix it, but only ended up electrocuting himself.

The room grew dark. There was a thud, and Jess tried to feel her way through the wires.

Lying at her feet was the Doctor, unconscious.

Panicking, she sat down next to him and slapped his cheeks, but to no avail. She bent down so her face was at his chest, looking for a pulse. Only his left heart was beating.

"Doctor! Doctor, you've gotta wake up," she yelled, looking around in the dark.

She could see the moonlight shining through the windows on the door, and, without thinking, grabbed his ankles and pulled him up the stairs and through the entrance.

Making sure she was far enough from the TARDIS and a bit past the entrance to the woods, she called for her mother.

"MUM! MUM! GET OUT HERE!" she screamed, tears blurring her vision. She knew too well that a Time Lord didn't last very long with only one heart. Although they looked human, there was very little human about them.

"What's going - oh my God." Melissa gasped, and knelt down next to the Doctor.

"Um," Jess stuttered, wiping the tears from her eyes. "Get me a pitcher of cold water," she demanded, with a quizzical expression from her mother. She obeyed, however, and ran back into the house.