Chapter 6: Bonding

Scarlett's POV

Xavier cooks up an extravagant feast for just the two of us. He sits me down across from him on a table a brings out a variety of foods that make my stomach turn.

Juicy steaks and salted potatoes, salads with tangy dressing, chicken with mushrooms, pesto pasta, all of the, grace the table.
"Eat up, baby girl." He says and I just frown. If I get fat, then when Xavier throws me out, Master won't take me back. But I don't want Master. I want Xavier. I want Dustin. I want Hailey. I want Xavier's purrs and rumbles and his sparkly blue eyes. I was so confused but I took some salad and Xavier wolfed down steak.

"Scarlett, you need to eat if you want to shift. Here, try some chicken." He scoops some chicken and mushrooms on my plate. I sniff it cautiously as Xavier chuckles at my antics. I carefully place a little bit in my mouth and my taste buds rejoice. I eat more until I feel stuffed.
Finally, we go sit on a couch and I want to cry as I feel my stomach hurt.

"Xavier I-" I blurt out before running to the bathroom and puking. Vomit covers the floor, and my mouth tastes vile. I cry as throw up and I hear Xavier shouting in the background. Eventually, I collapse and darkness consumes me.

-----

When I wake up, it's a rush of commotion.

"I'm sorry, I'm sorry, I'm sorry." I rush out to Xavier who sits beside me. He's going to get rid of me, I know it.

"Oh no, doll. It's my fault. Dr. Maxwell said you aren't ready to handle heavy foods. I didn't know." He says gently, his blue eyes anxious still.

"I don't want to eat." I answer plainly and Xavier grimaces but remains silent and holds my hand. A nurse walks in and I cringe in fear at the needle she brandishes. I whimper and I hear Xavier growl in warning at my apparent fear. The nurse smiles kindly.

"This is will be over in a pinch, just hold still for me." She tells me and I freeze, not even breathing at the sharp nick. It's over soon and she leaves after telling me I'm discharged and a warning to Xavier about me eating too little or too much. Xavier carries me back to the pack house and I ignore the stares coming my way that makes my skin crawl uncomfortably.

"I'm so sorry." Xavier says and I look away at his earnestness.
"It's okay." I say. "I've had much worse." A heavy silence fills the air after that and neither of us speak until we enter the house and I'm settled on the couch.

"I'd like to see Hailey." I tell Xavier, who grins at my request,

"Okay. Hailey is good for you to see." Xavier tells me.
I'd love to see Hailey again. Even though last time ended badly I'd like to talk to her.

"I'll let her know to come over now. You can chat with her while I do work." He tells me and I nod and sit on the couch.

He exits the house and the door shuts with a clicking noise that startles me a bit. When he leaves my chest hurts again and when I hear Hailey come in, it hurts a lot. Xavier suddenly appears in front of me, looking worried. He seems to be restraining himself from doing something.

"Scarlett, may I touch you?" He asks politely. I look at him confusedly as my pain ebbs away. I trust Xavier, I guess, even if he's giving me away soon. I give a nod and Xavier holds my hand gently for a bit.

"Okay, I'm going to give you guys some space. I'll be back later." Xavier says eventually but continues to hold me hand, which amuses Hailey greatly. He pulls himself away after some time, and leaves.

"Hey Scarlett, how are you doing?" Hailey asks me. I shrug.

"Okay, I think. But I just don't get why I'm still here...." I trail off.
"What do you mean?" Hailey presses. I tug my hair.

"Xavier can do better than me....I'm not worth it...." I mumble. Unworthiness bubbles up like a spring inside me.

"Oh...honey....Xavier cares about you so much. You're perfect for him. And he's never going to leave you." Hailey says. I grimace.

"Hailey, you don't get it. Your beautiful and I'm not. I get nervous around people and sometimes I get scared around Xavier." I admit.

"Why?" Hailey asks, shocked. "He'd never ever hurt you! Not on purpose!"

"I'm afraid to get close to him. I'm afraid one day he will open his eyes and see I'm not worth it. And then I'll have nothing." I confess, and tears rain down my cheeks. Hailey rests a manicured hand on my knee.

"Scarlett, you don't see the way he looks at you. When you smile, he beams." I struggle to comprehend what she's saying and a pit of emotions rest in my chest.

"If I ever tell him what happened to me, he won't want me." I tell Hailey. Hailey shakes her head adamantly.

"He's going to be upset at you getting hurt, that's for sure. But if you think for a moment he won't want you, your wrong." Hailey assures me. "Anyways, on a different note, you need clothing. I'm going to talk to Xavier about taking you shopping. And getting your hair done." I just sit there, thinking about what Hailey said about him wanting me. Could he really want damaged goods?

----

When Hailey leaves, I'm beyond tired but too terrified to sleep. The darkness scares me and I want Xavier. I want him to want me. I want him to keep me.
I sit on the couch, waiting for him to come back. Eventually, the door opens up and there stands Xavier, looking tired and vaguely annoyed, but as handsome as ever. His black hair looks soft and messy and I long to play with it and feel it's silkiness. As soon as he sees me, his eyes soften.

"What are you doing still awake?" He asks me as he sits next to me.

"I couldn't sleep." I admit. "I know Master will have you give me back eventually but I don't want to be surprised." Xavier growls furiously, his muscles tightening and eyes darkening.

"He is not your master, I am your Alpha and you will be my Luna. He will never have you, you are mine!" He roars. I don't understand why I'm not terrified of his growls, all they do is make me feel safe.

"Do you mean that?" I ask, in a small voice. His dark blue eyes meet my green ones.

"Yes. You are mine." I feel a weight being lifted off my chest at his possessive words.

"Okay." I say happily. Xavier looks shocked but I just cuddle up to his hard forms that softens upon my touch. My right hand dances up his neck, making him purr suddenly and with that being my approval, I comb my hand through his hair, it's silkiness enticing. I tug at it lightly and enjoy his growling response. I play with his hair until my fingers grow tired and then I wrap my arms around his neck and fall asleep in his comforting warmth.