Chapter 10|| The Moon And The Night

< - - - - - - - - - - L u c a - - - - - - - - - - > 

As soon as, Ember made her quick exit, I began looking around the house that she grew up in. The books on the shelves were all about medicine, the human body, and cookbooks. Was Ember into healing from the very beginning?  I find myself reading the few notes scribbled quickly down on otherwise clean paper. 

It can't be Ember

It can't be Ember.  I can't imagine a young Ember finding much joy in sitting for hours reading these books. As much as she probably reads similar ones now. Then, who? Her father or mother?

I could just ask Davis, I'm sure he would know. I turn back to inspect the toys scattered on the rug, but I hear a cricking in the floorboard, and see the one board ache to move. I pick up the board and feel a smile growing on my face at what I find. Two wooden swords with nicks on just about every inch of them, from hours and hours of practice. This is more Ember. I can practically imagine her smaller self, bouncing around the house, fighting with her father. It's considered treason for commoners to own weapons, but I'm learning that her family must not be much different from her. I pick up the larger sword and find myself, moving throughout the small house practicing. It's been years since I trained with a wooden sword. Almost since my mother. I stop short, before placing the sword back into its little hiding spot. 

I really need some water. I search the house for a bucket and begin the long walk towards the village well. As I get closer, I find myself trying to shield my face from the people around. I'm near the river, now, and there is no one around here. Work must take them away. As I retrieve my water, I notice a familiar cloak laying on the rocks, just then Ember head emerges from the water. Her fair shoulders on display for all to see. She's naked! What is she thinking? In public! That's when I remember there's no one around, but me. I quickly duck and turn. Hiding behind the well. I'll just wait until she leaves. But my mind is now filled with the enticing image of Ember. The way her dark hair clung to her shoulders and back. The contrast of her skin and her hair was like night and day. The moon against the night. The droplets cascading down her shoulders only to meet river waters below. I blink back. 

Soon, I see her wrapped from head to toe in her cloak, walking back towards the houses. I let out a breath, as I pick up my bucket of water, and take a good gulp of it. Begging the water to wash away the image of Ember that is now ingrained in my mind, but it doesn't. 

I was contemplating picking up some food at the market, but then remember my shortage of coins, being that I have none. It wasn't exactly high on my priorities list as I was leaving. By the time I get back to the house, I'm exhausted so, I climb the stairs into the bed area. I remove the thick blanket acting as a barrier for the bed. Digging into the chest beside it, I find another thick blanket and lay that out. Before, dropping onto the old bed. I pull off my top and sling the cloak on top of me acting as a sheet. As I try to close my eyes, but sleep doesn't come. After what feels like hours of just waiting in the bed for my eyes to at last close, I groan in irritation, as I hear my stomach. God, I'm starving! How long does it take someone to bring food? Perhaps she's taking another bath. I shake my head clear of those thoughts.