Chapter 16|| We Are With You

+ + + + + + + +

"Beautiful girl," papa called to me, taking my hand in his. I felt the warmth radiating from it. This is real it must be. He is here.

I smile up at him, as I see the same crinkles by the sides of his brown eyes. I want to speak, but I feel as though I can't. What is this? Papa senses the fear taking over me and gently soothes my hair back from my face, and action he took to doing when I was having a nightmare. 

"Hush, young one. You must open your eyes," he whispers, his deep voice is a familiar melody to my heart, and I want to revel in it, but I focus on his words. "That's it," he encourages. "Focus. We are with you," he adds, before the voice and his face vanish. 

The vision of my father is replaced by the blonde locks and worried expression of Luca. "Ember, wake up!" He shouts, his grip tightening around my shoulder as he holds me. Relief fills his features, upon seeing me look up at him. "Thank God," he sighs, pulling me into his arms and resting his face on my neck. I grew ridged at the embrace. What is this? He must have realized that I had not returned the hug, for just has quickly he released me. I watched has his facial features suddenly grew hard, "What the hell were you thinking to fall asleep like that? We have a mission to complete, we can't be worried about you dying on us too." 

Did I hear that correct? "Have you grown mental?" I asked angered by his whiplashed treatment of me. "I wouldn't have fallen asleep if you hadn't completely stopped talking. I told you I needed someone to talk to me," I reminded him, trying to get off of Frea in the process. His hands still held me and I pulled them off, wanting nothing to do with him in this moment. 

"I can't babysit you," he stated with venom in his voice, and once I was on the ground a wave of dizziness hit me, but I suppressed it too pissed to allow my weakness to show.

"Are you joking? I could have died, you arrogant ares. I should have known better than to rely on a praty prince, who cares about no one but himself," I state, before marching off towards James and Conrad, who have been trying not to watch our whole exchange.

Conrad offers me a place on his horse but I decline. "Lass, don't be like that, you have just awoken from near death," he swings off of the horse, and helps me on ignoring my protests. He takes the reigns and walks beside, while I ride.

What was wrong with me? Why did I trust him? But I know the reason, even if I'm not ready to state it out loud. Through the teasing, and moments of kindness, I have developed a soft spot for the Prince. My glances at the man have turned more and more. I began to see him how others do; as a good man. I began to trust that perhaps he can be the ruler of his people everyone claimed him to be. I began to stupidly trust in him. A dangerous thing to do, if one is not certain. I thought back to our dinner together a few nights ago, when I taught him the purpose of pray. He's is a good man. I thought- ugh, I was foolish. I can only trust him to save his own skin. 

Davis's words evade my mind has he talked of how Luca had saved him on multiple occasions, but how likely is it that Davis was simply caught in between Luca own predicaments.

I noticed that Conrad and I had taken a significantly lead. "He didn't mean it," Conrad whispered beside me, careful to ensure his words fell on my ears alone. 

I shake my head, "He is the next in line to rule a kingdom. I know full well what he meant." 

"He didn't mean too," Conrad tried again.

"Why the hell are you defending that prat!" I argue against him. Conrad seemed so level headed and kind how could he blindly follow such a man. 

"You didn't see the way he acted when he thought you were dead," Conrad says solemnly. I thought back to the way Luca engulfed me into a strong embrace. 

"Is that suppose to excuse the way he reacted when I lived?" I question, and he shakes his head in agreement. "Besides it's my own fault. I should have never have trusted him." A silence washes over us as we continue to move through the forest heading back to our kingdom. 

+ + + + + + + +

"What was that?" James whispers loudly at me, trying to contain his anger, but failing miserably. I don't want to talk about it. I can't. I need to talk to Davis. He would be able to help me clear up what the hell is going on with me. I'm so worthless. I can't keep Ember from going into danger, and then I can't keep her from dying on my watch. She trusted me and I broke that. 

"Come on, little spark, open your eyes," I whispered over and over again, trying to hold back the tears that were pricking my eyes. Conrad and James had moved closer to me, still, keeping their hold on Delc, but I shooed them away. Cradling Ember into my arms. She was too still for my liking. "Fight with me, dammit," I chanted. Then, I looked up to the clouds, and prayed, "Give her back," I closed my eyes in desperations. 

Staring back at her, I tried once more, "Ember, wake up!" and to my utter astonishment, her big brown eyes flickered open. 

"Not know," I sigh. I know how much damage I've done. I don't need James to tell me. But when she came back. I was relieved I allowed myself to feel something. I dropped my guard for the first time since the death of my mother, and I despised her for that. 

"Fine, but you need to talk to her, for if she comes after you while we are sleeping, I will not stop her from ripping your limbs off," he shots.

"So, much for loyalty," I scuff, but stifle the smile at the thought that Ember is more than capable of kicking my arse.

+ + + + + + + +