Chapter 7

"So, are you and Soda, you know, a thing?" Annie inquired as we strolled the streets a few days later.

"Not really, he's just...and I'm just..." I sighed heavily, exasperated. "Kinda, sorta, not really, you know?" Annie dragged in a breath from one of her ever-present cigarettes and nodded thoughtfully. "How 'bout you?" I nudged her, "got a guy?" She puffed out her cheeks, released a trio of smoke rings, then shook her head.

"I wish," she grumbled. I thought for a moment, then snapped my fingers.

"That's it!"

"That's what?"

"I know a guy whose dad owns the dance hall, the one down the corner from the gas station?"

"Okay?"

"So, m'dear, we are going out tonight," I told her with a wink. She chuckled.

"Alright. I don't got anything better to do, so....why not."

"That's the spirit," I chirped. "Now, c'mon, let's go get fancy and make some boys drool."

I dragged Annie back to my house, and, after rummaging through one of the hall closets, all but threw a sky-blue dress at her. She caught it, and frowned.

"I hate dresses," she remarked sullenly. I shrugged.

"So do I, but there are only so many ways to get guys to buy you a drink, so shoo!" I shoved her and the dress into the hall bathroom and then darted back to the closet to look for my own attire for the night.

Once I found what I was looking for, I raced to change, and managed to be stepping out of my room at about the same time as Annie convinced herself to come out of the hall bathroom. When I saw her, I gasped, and clapped my hands excitedly. "Now THAT is what I'm talking about!" I exclaimed. The dress was a gorgeous strapless number that accentuated her curves perfectly. The length was perfect as well, stopping just below her knees. "Darling, you look PERFECT," I sang as I tossed her a pair of comfortable silver shoes. Looping her arm through mine, I managed to drag her out the door before she changed her mind.

“So where are we going again?” Annie asked me as we walked through the balmy twilight.

“A dance hall. They have good punch, decent music, and I don’t mind feelin’ fancy for one night, you know?”

“Yes ma’am I do.” We walked in comfortable silence for a few blocks before I felt Annie stiffen beside me.

“What’s up, buttercup?”

“Keep walking, act like nothing’s up,” she hissed through her teeth. I did, and she continued, “There’s a car behind us. It’s been following us for a few blocks with its lights off, and it ain’t no Greaser car either.” I resisted the urge to stamp my foot in frusteration.

“Well isn’t that just marvelous. Do you wanna lose ‘em, or go the couple o’ blocks to the club?”

“Stick together. Maybe they’ll take the hint. Not ALL Socs are a few cherries short of a bushel.”

“Just most of them,” I said matter-of-factly, nudging her. She nodded. We continued walking, doing the best we could to pretend that all our attention was centered around the vehicle creeping steadily towards us.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Gahhh! There, take it, ick, this is so bad, Worst. Filler. EVER.

Not edited, I hate it, but there you go.

You wanted it, and I know it shoulda been up sooner, it's been done for almost a week, but I've been holding off posting it, hoping that something better would come to mind but, just...

AHHHH! *runs far away*

Read, Comment, Vote, Love

<3 Angel (who still REALLY hates this chapter)