Twenty One

When my mom comes home from work, she comes to my room to check on me.

"How are you feeling, Honey? Better?" She gently says, sitting on the edge of my bed

I sit up straight, "Yeah, I guess."

"I saw Alex sitting on the front porch waiting for you when I got here, but I told him you were sick, that's why you didn't answer the door. But he did ask me to give you this." Mom hands me a cassette

I remember Alex saying that he'd make me a mixtape. But after what happened, I  didn't think he'd still do it. I take the cassette, examining it. There's nothing written on it. For a while, I imagine him waiting for me. How long did he wait?

"Mom? How's things with Robin?" I ask

Mom lets out a huge breath and smiles, "Oh Gail, I'm so glad you asked. Things have been better than ever. I like Robin, he likes me too. He makes me feel special."

I smile at her answer, "That's good then."

"Thank you, Darling. I'm so sorry I hid things behind your back. I know I should've told you in advance. I didn't mean for you to find out that way." She sighs

"Yeah, Mom. It's okay." I nod

"Gail, I know what you're thinking. And I understand that it's hard for you to comprehend. But I've let it all go. The past was a hard time for me, for both of us. But there's nothing we can do about it except to live life and make  sure that you don't fall for the same mistakes." She explains

"But Mom, Dad did not only leave you. He also left me. I've seen you at your worst, I just don't want you to get hurt again.. What's love ever done to us?" I say

Mom strokes my hair, "Love gave me you, Gail. Love is.. one of the most beautiful things that could ever happen in anyone's life. It's like a drug, so addictive yet so dangerous at the same time. The pleasure you get from it is.. Indescribable. It makes you forget all the things that could happen if it goes wrong. Almost as if it's all worth the pain. I loved your dad. But you know sometimes love doesn't always last forever. And no matter how hard you try to avoid, the force that pulls you into it is too strong. And the only thing that could help is time. I took my time already."

I take time to process what she just said. But is it true?

"But I'm scared. I don't think I can handle it." I confess

"You can't force love, Gail. It comes on its own, regardless the time and place. But do know that you have people around you that love you. I love you." She hugs me. As if she could read my mind.

I hug her back. A single tear escapes from the corner of my eye. I have never had this kind of conversation before. She hasn't mentioned Dad in years, and hearing from her of how she's finally taken her time and is now ready for love again. But am I?

"I'd like to meet Robin some time, Mom." I say

She smiles, "He'd be more than happy to meet you too."

We spent the night watching a movie and eating pizza, just me and my mom. She's not only my mom, she's my best friend also.

When it gets late, I excuse my self to go to my room and get ready for bed. I grab my sketchbook by the bed and see Alex's mixtape. I put it on my walkman and the song starts to play.

Remember, whatever
It seems like forever ago
The regrets are useless in my mind
She's in my head I must confess
The regrets are useless in  my mind
She's in my head from so long ago

I know for sure it's Green Day, Billie Joe's voice is so familiar. I wait for the next song to play, but nothing. There's only one song in it. I let out a huge breath and put the walkman away. After closing my sketchbook and turning the lights off, I force myself to sleep.