6~ (Not So) Blue Christmas

"So, dear, when do we get to meet your boyfriend?" My mother asked as she came out from the kitchen holding a silver tin full of peanut butter and chocolate fudge. Baking was my family's specialty, and right now it was Christmas Eve. I was visiting my parents and a few of my other relatives were there as well like my grandmothers and  grandfathers from both my mother and father's sides of the family, and some of my uncles and aunts, and a few cousins. My brother and his children were there as well.

"He's supposed to be here any minute. I asked him to come up for dinner." I said, grabbing a piece of peanut butter fudge from my mother's plate. "The recipe never changes," I said, smiling as I popped the fudge into my mouth. Some of my relatives that had never really seen me for a long time were trying to strike up conversation with me, but they didn't really know what to talk about, so they just talked amongst each other instead.

My father came over to me. "Sweetie, what does your boyfriend do?"

"He sings. He has a band. And some albums."

"Oh? How great. What does he look like?"

"Well he's tall, he has long, curly hair, wears a lot of leather... um... that's pretty much it. You'll get to meet him when he comes." I concluded, walking towards the window since I heard what sounded like a car pulling into the driveway, and I was right. As I pushed the satin purple curtains away from the window to look out, I saw Pete's black car (I wasn't a car person so I couldn't tell what the brand or model was) with the few Japanese bumper stickers because he loved going to Japan and had promised to take me there some day. I smiled a little as he got out. He was holding a dish type object in his hands, and he began walking towards our front door so I ran over to meet him. Before he even got to the door, I opened it for him and watched him climb the stairs up to our front door. "Hi!" I greeted, waving.

"Hi, I brought stuff," He said, trudging through the snow on the steps. He was wearing a red and green striped sweater with a reindeer on the front. Once he got up to me, he handed me the glass container and bent down and gave me a kiss before entering my house. "I tried making some cookies."

"Oh, good," I whispered to myself, closing the door behind Pete. I then introduced him to my family. "Mom, dad, and everyone else, this is my boyfriend, Pete." I held his glass container in one hand and attempted to wrap my other arm around his shoulder, but I was too short.

Pete smiled, waving. "Hi everyone," I could tell he probably felt a bit awkward being in a room full of new people.

I noticed my mom in the corner, smiling brightly. She then handed the plate of fudge to my father and immediately ran up to Pete, shaking his hand. "It's a pleasure to meet you! I'm Maureen, Jenny's mother. Tell me, do you like fudge?" I rolled my eyes slightly at my mother's words towards Pete. I could tell she thought he was cute, she never acted like that when I brought any other boys home.

"Well, I'm not one to judge, but your daughter is a pretty good baker. She made me some cookies a while ago, they were amazing. I bet she gets her talents from her mother, eh?" Pete started, grabbing a piece of peanut butter fudge. "This looks good, I bet it is," He said, throwing it into his mouth with ease. "God, I was right. The second it hit my taste buds, I'm in love," He laughed along with everyone, and immediately he became friends with all of my family members pretty fast.

While Pete was talking it up with everyone in the living room, my mother pulled me into the kitchen by the arm. "Jenny, where did you ever find him?! He's no Jon Bon Jovi, but he's still gorgeous,"

"Remember my job? Well, one day, I was just stocking some racks and then he came in with one of his friends, probably a band member, and they looked lost. So I asked them what they wanted, and his friend was looking for a leather jacket or something. Then, Pete just kept coming back to my store. We became friends, and now he's my boyfriend." I smiled a little, looking out of the corner of my eye towards the loud chorus of laughter coming from the living room every few minutes.

"What does he do for a living?" My mother asked, taking quick glances at him as she talked.

"He's famous. He's a singer. You remember that song from a few years ago, You Spin Me Round, right? They still play it in the bars and clubs all the time and it's like a number one on all of the jukeboxes I've seen,"

"That... that's him? Where's the eyepatch? Sweetie, I think you've got the wrong guy. He doesn't look anything like that You Spin Me Round guy."

I sighed. "Mom, people change. Didn't you see the music video for Brand New Lover on MTV? Like, lately?"

"I think I have."

"Well that's him. Pete Burns from Dead or Alive. What I really need to do is find myself a brand new lover, you spin me right round like a record baby," I sang without even trying, smiling.

"I guess I see it now. I don't even know how you find these people, Jenny. Next you'll be bringing someone home like Eddie Money or Ritchie Blackmore,"

I giggled. "Well, maybe. But I think Pete will be with me for a long time." I then left my mom to go talk to Pete once again, since he was now alone.

"Hello, hun." He greeted as I walked over. "You have some fantastic family members."

I nodded. "I know. They can be a real trip. So, I see they like you,"

"I guess so. I'm likeable sometimes." At the moment some Christmas music was playing, and it was just the end of a song. As soon as the next song started to play which was Last Christmas by Wham!, Pete's eyes lit up. "I love this song! Come, hun. Dance with me." He began to sway to the beat of the song, doing some of his dumb little dance moves like he had done in many of his music videos. I felt strange dancing with him because I didn't know how to dance whatsoever, but I tried to. Everyone else joined in and started dancing around with us, my mother and father as well.

At the end of the night, Pete took me outside of my parent's house. As we stood on the deck, looking out towards the sea of snow, he whispered my name. "Jenny," I looked towards him and couldn't help but smile when he pulled out a small sprig of mistletoe from his jacket pocket.

As he held it over our heads, I giggled softly. "You little dork,"

He smiled back. "Come on, you know what to do."

"Alright. Fine." As he wrapped his other arm around me that wasn't holding the mistletoe, he tilted his head down and kissed me passionately, and I kissed him back, resting my hands on his chest.

"Merry Christmas," He whispered as we both pulled away. "I love you."