Chapter 4 - Last Lesson

My alarm clock went off. As I pull the covers over my head to block the noisy alarm. It didn't work. I sighed and tossed my pillow at the stupid alarm.

CRASH! I jump out of bed and looked at the alarm. Scattered on the ground with the glass broken. What a perfect way to wake up. I walk over to pick up my broken alarm clock, trying to put the pieces back together again. Sighing I put it down, knowing it was pointless.

Looking out the window it was a chilly Winter morning so I decided to put in my denim jodhpurs and turquoise polo with my old puffer jacket and my new brown leather boots I got for my birthday from Krystal. Pretty much all my riding gear came from Krystal's overly excessive birthday presents to me. Not that I was complaining about out her generosity. I would only have my old pair of worn out, third hand jodhpurs that I managed to save up for if it wasnt for her. I quickly grabbed the last apple in the bowl and ran out the door, being careful to not wake up my mother. I grabbed my bike and pedaled quilt to Phillips equine. I was having my last lesson with my best friend Krystal. The sun had risen by the time I arrived at the barn and the sun slowly warming up my frozen body. I walked into the barn and checked to see what horse I would be riding today. I looked at the old white board to see who I was riding, I smiled as I read Sonic's name. He was my favorite horse to ride he was a 16.2 dark bay thoroughbred gelding with 3 white socks and a big blaze. I adored him to pieces and I would buy him if I could afford it, but he wasn't owned by the stables so there was really no chance.

I make my way to the tack room while petting the horses on my way. I grabbed my helmet and matching turquoise saddle pad and polo wraps and the rest of my gear before clipping Sonic up on the cross ties.  after giving the already impeccably clean horse a groom I quickly saddled up not wanting to be late for my last lesson with my instructor Marie. after putting Sonic's bridle on I headed to the outdoor dressage arena to warm up. Just before I got on I made sure to tighten my girth a hole and pull my stirrups down. When I was done I mounted Sonic and smoothly picked up a working trot. As I began to warm up Krystal came into the arena leading Alyssa. behind her was my instructor Marie and Lorraine with a man I did not recognize.

"How does sonic feel today?" Krystal asked as she mounted her black 15.2  Belgian warmbloods, named Minnie.

"He's a little stiff in the neck, nothing we can't fix with a good warm up though," I remarked as we walked to the edge of the arena.

"Today I have invited a friend to come watch your lesson girls I hope you don't mind," Marie said as she walks into the middle of the arena.

"Of course not" replied Krystal and myself.

'Good. I'll give you 10 minutes to warm up your horses and then we will work on our dressage test and then do a small round of jumping, we are really going to push both horse and rider today" Maria states firmly.

I love all disciplines of riding but if I had to choose my least favorite it would be dressage, it's something both me and Sonic struggled on, so I could tell today was going to be a challenge.

After doing a few rounds of working trot I decided to make sure to sonic was nice and supple and focusing on his job. I did some 20-meter circles and serpentines collected and extended trot and canter. Marie called us back into the center arena.

"We will start off with your dressage test. Krystal if you would like to fo first and then Eva." we nodded in agreement as Krystal made her way to the outside of the arena to start her test. Krystal did well with only a few minor errors, that could easily be fixed. I knew Krystal could easily do a higher test, but her horse Minnie was still young and wasn't a strong dressage horse. She and Minnie had definitely improved since last time. "nice one" I whispered to Krystal when she halted Minnie next to me.