seven

3 months later.
Maya POV

Days, weeks have gone by. Brooklyn gets better everyday. I look at my little girl and wonder how she got so strong. Her body continue to tear her down but she doesn't give up. Today is the day Lucas and I finally graduate high school. We both decided that we are going to take a gap year before going to college so we can focus on getting Brooklyn better.

I looked in the mirror as I put on my lipstick and adjusted my cap on my head. I zipped up my gown giving myself one more look. I smiled looking at the girl I see in the mirror. I am a completely different girl I was four years ago. Of course I don't remember any of the lessons I learned in high school but I high school taught me to grow up. Four years ago I was a broken girl who wasn't happy. Now I stand before everyone as a strong young girl who is trying her best to get by.

My thoughts were interrupted by a baby's cry. I rushed over to the play pen where Brooklyn was and picked her up.

"Oh baby its okay. Mommy's here." I cooed and rubbed her back. He crying slowly died down as I rocked her back and forth. I dressed her in a small dress and tights.

"Well there are the two most beautiful girls in the world." Lucas said walking into the nursery. I walked over to him and pecked his lips and handed him Brooklyn as I finished buckling my shoes.

"Are you excited?" Lucas asked.

"Yeah I actually am! This is a huge accomplishment for us. We've both been through so much these past four years and this is our moment to show everyone that we made it." I said walking back over to him poking Brooklyns nose.

"I love you so much." Lucas said looking into my eyes. I pressed my lips to his and then pressed my lips to Brooklyns forehead.

---AT THE SCHOOL---
Lucas and I gave Brooklyn to my dad and made our way to the gym with everyone else. I spotted Farkle and Riley across the room and ran towards them. Without saying a word I hugged Riley. She started to cry into my shoulder and I let a few tears shed. She would be going to college next fall and it would be the first time we would ever be apart.

"Don't cry honey." I said pulling away and wiping away her tears.

"This is it Maya. Its really over." She cried.

"Riley, just because high school is ending doesn't mean our friendship is." I assured her

"Its not going to be the same. You and Lucas will be here, Farkle will be at Yale and I'm going to be at NYU." She said

"Honey NYU is only a couple hours away. I'm sure we'll be able to visit." I said rubbing her arm.

"I just hate knowing that its over. Everything is changing." She said wiping her tears.

"I know. I know." I said wrapping her into a hug. As she cried I extended my arm for Farkle and Lucas to join.

"I love you guys." Riley said as we parted. The graduation march started to play.

"Thats our cue" I smiled grabbing Lucas hand as we walked into the auditorium.

As everyone got seated I noticed my dad in the crowd who was holding Brooklyn. I waved and blew a kiss to them and he took Brooklyn's hand to wave back to me.

"Good evening everyone! Welcome to our Graduation Ceremony! Each and every one of the students sitting before you has proven that they are ready to enter the real world. I would like to pass the mic over to our valedictorian Mister Farkle Minkus." Our principal said as he shook Farkles hand.

Farkle walked up to the podium and began his speech, "First of all, I would like to thank everyone for coming this evening. This has certainly been a crazy couple of years. High school is a time where we, as individuals, can grow and realize what our purpose is in this world, we realize what we want to do for the rest of our lives. Over the years I have learned so many lessons but one that will always stick with me is that the secret of life is that people change people. Every one of my classmates has changed me in one way or another. I think I can speak for everyone when I say that even though this journey was not easy, it was worth it. So I say thank you. Thank you to my family, to my friends, to my teachers and to my classmates." Everyone in the auditorium stood and clapped for Farkle. I even shed a tear. As we sat back down Farkle spoke again.

"And now, I am honored to present the governors award. This award is given to one student who has been able to manage a high academic standing in the face of challenges. It is a pleasure to give this award to my dear friend Maya Hart." Farkle said and the crowd cheered and clapped. I was confused.

"Maya can you come up here?" Farkle asked. I stood up confused. Lucas stood up and hugged me. He walked me to the stage. As I made my way up the stairs I looked a Farkle confused and he gave me a soft smile. I could hear the crowds clapping die down as Farkle handed me the plaque. I hugged him and stood in front of the podium.

"Umm wow. I honestly knew nothing about this award. I just want to thank whoever is in charge of deciding who gets this because it really does mean alot to me. I want to thank my family and friends for standing by me during this difficult time in my life. Riley and Farkle I want to thank you for staying by me. I also want to thank my wonderful fiancé Lucas. He went through the same problems I did but he always manage to make sure I was okay before he thought about himself.  I also want to dedicate this award to my little girl Brooklyn. She is the reason that I am standing before you the women I am today. This award classifies her as a challenge. I classify my baby girl as a blessing. Sure she is a little different and has a problem that most babies her age don't have to face but she is the strongest person I know. When I walked into this school four years ago I didn't know who I was and while senior year was my most challenging year it was also the most rewarding. Senior year is when I found myself and I opened myself up to new things. Simply put, I used to think hope was for suckers now I stand before you with more hope than ever. I hope that each and every one of my classmates will achieve their dreams. I hope that everyone in this room will live a happy life but most of all I know that my daughter will beat this horrible disease." And with that. I broke down. Tears started pouring out of my eyes as I spotted my daughter in the crowd. I wiped my eyes before starting again.

"So thank you for this and thank you for giving me hope." I said holding up my plaque and walked off the stage. The crowd stood and cheered. Instead of walking back to my seat, I walked right up to my daughter and took her into my arms. I cried into her tiny body as my dad hugged us and kissed my head. I kissed my daughters forehead and whispered "I love you" before handing her back to my dad and went back to my seat.

I sat down and Lucas grabbed my hand.
"I  am so proud of you." he said kissing my cheek as the principal started calling our names.

"Riley Matthews." Riley got up to walk onto stage, tripping on the way of course. I giggled and cheered for my best friend

"Farkle Minkus." Farkle grabbed his diploma and did his signature bow.

"Isiah Babineaux." Zay walked up on the stage.

"Lucas Friar." I hugged Lucas before he walked on stage shaking the principals hand and grabbing his diploma.

"Maya Hart." I stood up and smiled. I made my way to the stage and collected my diploma. I walked over to Lucas with the diploma in my hand. To most people, this is just another step in education but to me this is means that I made it. I overcame a teenage pregnancy. I am the best mother I can possibly be.

"Here are your graduates." The principal said and we all threw our caps in the air. I cheered and clapped. Lucas pulled me into a kiss. Our lips moved in perfect sync. I pulled away and smiled,

"We made it baby."