2.5

After many tests Pietro could not name, he was called back into the room with Clint.

He sat down, and Clint smiled at him softly.

"It looks like cerebral palsy. We're not sure how it went unnoticed for so long, or why you weren't treated when you were younger. As you know, it affects fine motor skills in your hands and legs, and also gives you a bit of a speech impediment. What we can do is provide crutches and get you fitted for some braces. We can also recommend physical therapy for your hands." The tall woman with dark hair and squarish glasses concluded, glancing at her notes.

"Have you ever used crutches before?"

Pietro shook his head.

"Okay. I'm going to go get them, and then we'll walk through how to use them."

She left, leaving Clint and Pietro in silence.

Clint rubbed the back of Pietro's hand, kissing his cheek. The younger blushed and smiled, giggling like a little kid.

Clint shook his head, chuckling. "You're such a child, you know that?"

Pietro nodded, looking down at the ground.

"Whatcha thinking?" Clint asked.

"My sister. She called, yesterday. I am scared for her."

Clint's smile dropped. "Oh, I'm so sorry. We could...we could go get her, y'know? Take her then call the cops and get your dad put away."

"Maybe. I do not know, Father is not safe person to be around."

"It'll be okay." Clint pressed his lips to the top of Pietro's head.

The doctor walked in and Clint pulled away.

"Okay, these are Lofstrand crutches, commonly referred to as forearm crutches or elbow crutches. You're going to put your arm through this cuff, and put your hand around this peg. We might need to adjust them a bit." She explained, pulling up the rolling stool up to sit and instruct Pietro.

"Okay, top of the hand through here."

Pietro slid his arm through the gray cuff. It was slightly cold against his skin. He clasped his hand the best he could around the handle, repeating the action with the second.

"Alright, now push down when you stand."

Pietro did, and he stood up with an unknown ease. A bright smile lit his face, spreading to Clint's as well.

"Okay, now you're going place one of the crutches in front of you a bit."

Pietro complied.

"Now step up to it."

Pietro walked up to the crutches. It was easier than it had ever been in his life.

"Okay, we did fit you for braces so you'll have to come back in a few weeks." She reminded.

The doctor adjusted the length a bit, then letting them leave.

Pietro scuffed his lamer foot on the floor, now able to walk with more stability. He looked gratefully to Clint.

He would admit that the aide was difficult to use, at least at first, but it was so much easier than walking unaided.

Clint gave him a thumbs up, slowing his pace to match the boy's.

He made it down the hall, arms burning slightly from the new use.

Clint got to door for the teen on the way out.