Eight- You're Perfect. You're Perfect!

Lin called Daveed to pick us up, so we didn't have to take the crowded subway. Daveed seemed semi on-edge with me. When I confronted him about it, he said, "Oh, well, I mean, you were fine in the hospital, but the first time I saw you, you called me a Southern motherfucking Democratic-Republican."

I turned red. "I... I have no memory of that." Which was true. Like, I could remember meeting, but I didn't remember anything I said. It was like watching a movie, but someone left the sound off.

"Wait, really?" Daveed looked at Lin, who looked puzzled. "Maybe she was in shock, and didn't remember it?"

Lin shrugged. "What do I look like, a doctor?"

Daveed took a bag from Lin, tossed it in the back of his car, and I crammed in the back with the stuff.  My right bicep was still sore after two months, but it had improved immensely.

"Like Lin stated, you're staying in a dressing room at the Rodgers until he gets a new house," Daveed said, honking at a cab. He pulled up curbside the theater. "Okay, get out."

I grabbed as much stuff as I could, passed some to Lin, and crawled out of the cab. I followed Lin (up the THREE FLIGHTS OF STAIRS), and stood as he threw open a door with gusto. "And here it is!"

The room was minimal, with a desk, a vanity, and a bathroom with a sink, toilet, and small shower. A twin cot was set up against one wall.

Lin dropped his armful of stuff on the vanity. "Well, it's not much, but-"

I dropped my armful and hugged him. He sort of tensed up, then accepted. "My old room was the size of the cot," I whispered. "Thank you."

Lin made a sort of disbelieving noise, but didn't argue. I pulled away, smiled, then began to unpack. I extracted plain bedsheets from a bag and began to make the cot.

"You guys got started without me! Look, I brought friends!"

Daveed had appeared in the doorway, but he wasn't alone. With him were Phillipa Soo and Renée.

"So this is the kid," Phillipa said. "Hi, I'm Pippa."

"I know," I said nervously, shaking her hand. She smiled, but her eyes were sad. "You're safe now." Clearly Lin had shared everything.

"I know," I repeated.

We really didn't need that many people, but the work went faster. Lin and Daveed finished making the bed, and Renée strung Christmas lights all around the room. Pippa helped me lay a rug on the floor and hang a stuff-organizer in the closet.

We stepped back and admired our work. A fuzzy red rug was on the wooden floor. A white comforter with gold patterning was spread over the cot, and a few gold and gray pillows were thrown on top. White Christmas lights were artfully strung around the room, and my Hamilton CD was set prominently on the vanity.

"You guys didn't have to come," I told them. "It's your day off, and-"

"How'd you know that?"

I scoffed. "Please. I don't pretend to be a theater fan."

"How do you spell theater?" Daveed challenged.

"The art is t-h-e-a-t-r-e, the building itself is    t-h-e-a-t-e-r."

"She's good."

"Come on," Pippa said, stowing her cell phone. "Jaz's here."

"Where are we going?" I asked.

"The girls are going to take you shopping," Lin told me.

"But we just went shopping!" I protested.

"You need clothes," Renée prompted.

"But you guys have already spent a fortune on me, not to mention paying my hospital bills that time!"

Lin sighed. "Squirt, I'm fostering you. That means we're all fostering you. You're a Hamilton. Suck it up."

I gave a sort of sigh-laugh, a combination of the two. "Okay, then," I conceded.

"Great!" Pippa chirped, grabbing my arm. "Let's go!"

My reaction was one of pure terror. I wrenched my arm out of her grip and fell backwards. I thumped against the wall and slid to the floor, heart pounded, blood roaring in my ears, my past experiences clouding my vision.

All of the adults above me had apprehensive expressions, except Pippa, whose face was the embodiment of guilt. "Oh, shit," she whispered, kneeling next to me. "Alex? Alex, honey? I'm so sorry. Are you okay?"

I shivered, nodding, and stood. My head hung. "I'm sorry. I shouldn't have freaked out like that-"

"No, sweetie, don't be. Can I give you a hug?"

I nodded, and she wrapped her arms around me. She split, and I smiled.

Jasmine Cephas Jones appeared in the doorway. "What'd I miss?"

Daveed sighed. "Jaz, that's my line."

"Oh, shut up. Are we going, girls?"

I smiled, waving shyly. "Hi, I'm Alex."

"I know!" She squealed. "Oh, you're so pretty- we're going to have too much fun!"

"You're pretty too!" I said, essentially starstruck.

Renée rolled her eyes. "I swear to God, Jasmine, you're a puppy."

"You're probably right," Jaz admitted. "But who cares? Let's go!"

We went down the stairs and out. Jasmine led our troupe to the Macy's. I stopped at the doorway. "I can't go in here."

Pippa looked back at me. "Come on, kid, we've been over this!"

I shook my head adamantly. "You guys have already spent way too much on me!"

Renée sighed. "Look. You can come into the Macy's and let us spoil you, or you can come into the H&M and let us spoil you."

My eyes got big. "I will come into the Macy's if you promise me one thing."

"What is that?"

"Never, ever take me to the H&M. Ever."

"Oh-kay?" She said, confused.

I allowed myself to walk into the expensive yet stylish store.

Okay, so I'm renaming the Hamilton songs! Here's Act 1:

Alexander Hamilton: Ey Yo Das Me
Aaron Burr, Sir: Meet Squad
My Shot: Get Hype
Story of Tonight: The I'm Not Drunk Song
The Schuyler Sisters: WERK
Farmer Refuted: Boi if You Don't Get
You'll Be Back: Taylor Swift in the 1700s
Right Hand Man: OUTGUNNED WHAT OUTMANNED WHAT
Winter's Ball: Hey Pretty Lady
Helpless: I Wuvs Him And I Can
Satisfied: I Love Him But I Can't
Story of Tonight (Reprise): Drunk Again!
Wait For It: DEATH DOESNT DISCRIMINATE
Stay Alive: Charles Lee is a Little Turd
Ten Duel Commandments: Bang Bang
Meet Me Inside: DON'T CALL ME SON
That Would Be Enough: You Gon Be A Daddy
Guns and Ships: LAFAYETTE
History Has Its Eye on You: Don't Friggin' Screw Up
Yorktown: We Had a Spy on the Inside das right HercULES MULLIGAN
What Comes Next?: Taylor Swift 2.0
Dear Theodosia: Aw, ba-LOOK AT MY SON
Non-stop: Goddammit Alexander Put Your Quill Down for Two Seconds

-Pegs