Nine- It's Really, uh, Sharp, Don't You Think?

Notice: From this point on, first person to comment the musical that the song and/or lyric is from gets a shoutout!

I shrugged as Renée held up yet another shirt. "This one?" She prompted.

"It's fine," I said politely. Renée huffed. "Look, sunshine, I can't well put together a wardrobe for you if I don't know what you like to wear!"

"I don't like flashy things."

Out of the corner of my eye, I saw Jasmine freeze. In her hands were a neon pink sweatshirt and electric blue workout pants. She retreated slowly to return the items. I giggled, looking back at Renée.

Pippa held a few different shirt sleeves up to me, then nodded with the authority of a thousand professors. "She looks best in black."

"How do you know?"

Pippa held a black shirt to me. "Look, it brings out the olive, makes her look tanner."

The two nodded in affirmation. "Black it is."

"Hey, Alex, what do you think of this?"

I looked over to where Jasmine was waving me to. I took a step forward, then tripped over my own two feet. Renée managed to catch me, quickly letting go once I had gained my balance. "You okay? Wow- Alex, you're really light. How much do you weigh?"

I shuffled my feet. "Eighty five pounds."

"You're below average."

"I realize that. On average, I get five meals a week."

Renée looked heartbroken, but she let it slide. "Pip! Flowing clothes!"

"Got it!"

I continued over to Jasmine, who was smirking in satisfaction. "I win," she said, revealing a muddy green cargo jacket. It was lined with cream-colored fur. "The fur is removable, so you can wear it on warmer days."

I lifted the jacket and slung it over my shoulders. It was heavy, but comfortably so. I grinned at her. "I love it."

We set the jacket in the cart, along with a few black v-necks, two pairs of skinny jeans ("Don't you want the distressed ones?" "Renée, no offense, but why do we want to pay more for the damaged product?") and your basic socks and underwear.

"Ooh, look at these!" Jaz crooned, dancing over to the fancy event dresses. "You should try this one, and this one, and this one, and-"

"Jasmine! What events do you think I'll be going to that I need dresses this nice?"

Pippa laughed. "You're Lin's kid now, Alex. Your social life just got booked."

I sighed, but allowed the girls to squeeze me into an assortment of gowns and dresses. My favorite was a red sweater dress that went to just above my knees, with a thick black belt.

As we were looking through shoes, a familiar drum beat rang on the radio. I looked up at the girls, then broke out. "Uh-oh, but little does he know that his daughters, Peggy, Angelica, Eliza, sneak into the city just to watch all the guys at work, work!"

"Angelica!" Renée sang, smiling.

"Eliza!" Pippa laughed, shaking her head at me.

Jasmine got into full character, putting a hand on her hip and striking a pose. "And Peggy!"

"The Schuyler sisters!" They harmonized, then collapsed into giggles.

I beamed. "Oh my God you guys sound even better in real life!"

Jasmine smirked. "Work!"

Pippa brought me three shoes that were identical except color. "Red, black, or white?"

"Um, I like red the best."

"Red and white it is."

"Wait-"

"Sneakers?"

"But those are sneakers!"

"No, those are high tops," Renée informed me, bringing me a pair of Nike sneakers. "Here, try these on."

After another hour of agony, the girls let us check out. We returned to the theater, put all of my new clothes in the closet, and sighed.

I began to sing under my breath. "It's knowing what they want of me-"

"That scares me," Jasmine harmonized, smiling at me. "Hey. Do you want to go on the stage?"

I stared at her. "Are you serious?"

"Yeah," she shrugged. "I'll teach you some dances!"

Pippa and Renée had already gone to the lobby with Lin and Daveed, so Jaz and I crept backstage. Jaz led me onto the stage, and I had a moment of vertigo as I stared out at the ocean of seats.

"And those are all full of people?"

"It gets easy," she assured. "Do you wanna just sing?"

"Yeah."

"Show me what you got!" Jaz encouraged. I laughed, then racked my mind for a good song. I chose one, then began to sing.

"And now I'm all alone again, nowhere to turn, no one to go to..."

As I slipped into the character of Eponine Thenardier, I hardly noticed a door opening in the back of the theater. I didn't see Daveed, Lin, Pippa, and Renée sit down in the front row- my eyes were seeing trees filled with starlight, and lights misty in the nearby river.

"I love him, but when the night is over! He is gone, the river's just a river."

I gave my finale, letting myself slip away from Eponine and back to Alex as I sang the last note. "Only on my own!"

My audience of four applauded. "Who taught you to sing like that?" Jaz asked. "Um, I've always been good at singing, but I've been at OPM for the past three years. Mr. Thorne is the best!"

"I want to meet him," said Lin from behind me. I hadn't even realized he'd made his way onto the stage.

"Well, um, the winter concert is in two weeks," I volunteered. "He'd love to meet you, but, um... I'm actually not sure I want you to go."

"What? Why?"

I turned bright red. "We're doing a Hamilton arrangement and I'm Alexander. And Angelica."

"What about in Satisfied?"

"We have a step-in Alexander."

Lin grinned. "I'm not missing this for the world, squirt."