Chapter Three (Pil)

"You called for me, Your Highness?" asks Joon Seo as she enters the Third Prince's chambers. She bows respectfully and does not dare look up at him as she stands near the doors. Since Sa Ra returned, she and Joon Seo have been discussing how they have been over the past few years. Joon Seo did not find it surprising that Sa Ra is more of a fighter than a court lady as when they were children she remembers how Sa Ra would play her guard whenever they left her room. Currently, Sa Ra is waiting outside of the chambers as instructed by the prince himself.

"Yes, I did," says Prince Wang Yo as he walks up to Joon Seo and scans her body and her demeanor. "I wanted to get to know Concubine Kang's daughter a little better. Please come sit." He goes over to his seat and sits down as Joon Seo sits across from him.

"What is it you wish to know?" asks Joon Seo as she wishes Yeon Hwa would just come and get her. But both Princess Yeon Hwa and Queen Hwangbo are not in the place. They went to buy more fabrics to sew on.

"What is your relationship with Wang So?" Wang Yo asks, getting straight to the point. "Did you meet him while staying there with your mother?" Joon Seo looks up at the prince with curious eyes and tilts her head, wondering if she should answer or not.

"Hyung," comes a voice from outside the chambers. It is a male's voice, but one Joon Seo hasn't heard before.

"What is it?" snaps Wang Yo, upset he is being interrupted. "I am currently busy!"

"The King wants all of us to gather in the main building," says a young man as he enters the chambers. "Oh, who's this?" He notices Joon Seo as she bows to him.

"Jung, this is Pil Joon Seo," sighs Wang So. "Concubine Kang's daughter and Yeon Hwa's playmate."

"Joon Seo?" asks Jung confused. "Did you grow up with Wang So?" He looks at the girl with curious eyes and an excited expression. She nods at his question. This causes Prince Jung to let out a happy shout and Prince Wang Yo to lean in closer.

"He was not cared for the way I was," Joon Seo responded. She hoped to get out of there. "But did the King not call you? It would be rude if you did not go to him when he calls."

"You're right!" exclaims Jung. "Hyung! We need to get going! It was nice to meet you, Joon Seo!"

"We will continue this later," says Wang Yo as his brother exits his chambers. Joon Seo notices Prince Jung stops right outside Wang Yo's chambers, right where Sa Ra would be. "Come to me when I call for you again. If you do not, then I'll have the royal guards drag you here, understood?"

"Yes, Your Majesty," replies Joon Seo as she bows to both princes as they leave. Once they are gone, Joon Seo gets up walks over to Sa Ra, who appears to be blushing.

"I take it you know Prince Jung?" asks Joon Seo to her Lady as they walk through the palace grounds. Right now, they are walking near the palace gates.

"I met him a while back when he was dressed as a commoner and tried to beat me in a fighting match," says Sa Ra with a slight smile on her face.

"He didn't succeed, I suppose?" asks Joon Seo as she laughs. Sa Ra laughs as well. Both are snapped out of their moment as they hear the palace gates opening and see two horses riding into the palace. Joon Seo gets curious and tries to get closer.

"Lady Pil!" warns Sa Ra as she does not want her to get hurt by the horses.

"I want a c-" Joon Seo begins. She stops talking because she recognizes one of the riders on the horses. She takes a few steps back before turning away and walking back to her room.

"Lady Pil!" says Sa Ra as she runs after her lady wondering why she took off with no reason. What Sa Ra did not realize is that Fourth Prince Wang So is one of the riders who just came into the Palace.

"Lady Pil?" asks Prince Wang So as he gets off his horse and then kills it, making certain he does not return to the Kang Household.

"She is Pil Joon Seo," replies Ji-Mong as he greets the Fourth Prince. "She is Princess Yeon Hwa's playmate. You remember her, do you not?"

"Joon Seo?" exclaims Wang So, his heart skipping a beat at the mere mention of her name. "She's here? In the palace?"

"Yes, she is," says Queen Hwangbo as she and Yeon Hwa are walking into the palace as well.

"Queen Hwangbo, Princess Yeon Hwa," says Wang So as he bows to them both. Ji-Mong bows as well and smiles at the Second Queen.

"How have you been, Wang So?" asks Yeon Hwa, especially happy to see the man of her dreams home after not seeing him for so long.

"I've been doing well," he says in a monotone voice as he does not smile at either of them. "If you will excuse me, the King has called for me." He bows and leaves the second Queen and the Princess, followed by Ji-Mong. Wang So knows how much Yeon Hwa wishes to be with him but he has made it clear he has no intention of being with her.

"Yes, Your Majesty?" asks Joon Seo as she enters the main chamber of the palace, the place where the king and his advisors meet.

"It is good to see you, Joon Seo," says the King with a smile on his face. The princes' look at him in awe as it has been a long time since they had seen their father smiling like that. "Life in the palace suits you."

"Thank you, Your Majesty," says Joon Seo as she bows and then goes to stand behind the Third Prince. She does not look up when the eunuch announces "Prince Wang So is entering!" She feels everyone look up to the door as her heart pounds loudly in her chest and her head becomes dizzy.

"Are you alright, Lady Pil?" asks Prince Jung as he notices the young woman looking nervous.

"I am alright," says Joon Seo with a smile. As she does, Wang So is walking past her and he catches her bright smile. It causes him to stop for a moment.

"What are you doing here?" asks Wang Yo, not hiding the venom in his words.

"The King asked for me," replies Wang So in the same manner his brother asked him. "It would be treason to not fulfil a royal order." Behind him, enters Yeon Hwa and she goes to stand next to the Eighth Prince, Wang Wook, her brother.

"Now that all of you are gathered here," says the King joyfully. "In a few days' time, Joon Seo will become of marrying age. Between now and then, I will take recommendations on potential suitors for her. And on that day, I will reveal great news to all." Joon Seo couldn't believe her ears. The King is marrying her off on her birthday, and has a secret to tell her. She wants to speak up, but she is afraid of getting on the King's bad side. She looks at Wang So just as he too is looking at her. Yeon Hwa and Wang Yo notice them, and they are not the only ones who see this private exchange of looks.