Chapter 8 (Yeom)

Yeom was thankful to Pil for getting her out of the party. The look Won was giving her made her sick to her stomach. Something she had never felt because of a different person, and she was afraid of that. Trying to regain her thoughts Yeom turned around. She was sure Pil was following behind her, but Pil never came. It was understandable, since it was Pil's party and it would be rude to just up and leave, especially since the king planned it all.

Finally with a calm heart Yeom headed towards her room in the Damiwon. The palace was the quietest its been since Yeom had moved back here. It was probably because everyone was at the party, but it left an unsettling feeling in Yeom's stomach. Feeling around her dress, Yeom searched for the small blade that she always carried on her. As soon as her hands grazed the side of the blade, she heard footsteps. Quickly she threw her knife in the direction of the sound.  Her blade striking a wall.

"Come out now" Yeom said ready to defend herself. The area was to dark to spot out a figure, so Yeom had to keep her guard up. She heard more footsteps around her, she could tell it was only one person, and a woman at that with how light the steps were. "If you reveal yourself I will not tell the king of your identity and let you leave with your life."  A chuckle erupted behind Yeom.

"Why did you return to the Palace," a voice asked. Yeom quickly turned to the direction of the voice but could not see anyone.  "Everything about you was supposed to be erased from this Palace. WHY DID YOU HAVE TO RETURN!" 

All of a sudden a shadow figure launched at Yeom.  With barely enough time to react Yeom jumped to the side.  The figure didn't stop there but quickly turned around and kicked Yeom in her stomach.  Yeom slid but fixed her footing holding onto her stomach. Now she was pissed. Quickly dropping to the floor and sliding, Yeom kicked the attackers feet off from under them.  The attacker fell to the floor and hit her head. Whoever it was they weren't moving, Yeom took this as her chance to check out the identity. As she inched closer a small woman figure appeared, and to her amazement there lay Lady Rena.

Lady Rena was a friend of hers when she was younger, much like an older sister to her when she lived in the palace long ago. Their was no missing the familiar face.

This however frustrated Yeom.  She could not quite wrap her head around everything, why did Rena who basically raised her in the palace want to hurt her?

Yeom looked for her blade,  and quickly pulled it out the wall,  and returned to Rena's side. 

Rena began to gain consciousness,  Yeom quickly put her blade close to her neck. "Don't move, " Yeom said. Rena looked down towards the blade and chuckled. 

"You have truly grew up to be the monster she wanted you to be, " Rena said looking Yeom in the eyes.

"What are you talking about? "

Rena laughed again but was still careful to move with the blade still pressed near her neck. 

"I should've killed you like the king requested years back. " Those words shocked Yeom. Why would the king want her dead if he requested her to return the palace. 

"Why are you lying to me?"

"Lying, " Rena exclaimed.  "There has never been a lying bone in my body. " Rena turned her head away from Yeom. She was extremely frustrated with Yeom's naivety.  She turned back with a serious face.  "Do you seriously not remember anything about this palace,  and your mother? "

The only thing Yeom could remember about the Palace was her duty to stick by Pil's side no matter what.

"Unbelievable,  no wonder I took pity on you and let you free from here."

"Nothing you say is making sense,  if you don't start giving me answers I'll spill your blood where you lay, " Yeom said as she pressed her blade closer to Rena's neck.

Rena had no fear,  she simply believe she had a life of her own anyway.  "Let me give you a little insight, " she began.  "Your life outside the palace is all a lie.  The man who raised you is not your father. The king is." Rena looked down at the blade again,  she realized the more Yeom listened to what she was saying , the more her guard was let down.  "The king was very young and his wives weren't being much help by his side with all the troubles the palace brought.  Your mom however was a lovely lady,  she was doing as any lady would, and that was keeping by the king's side.  She would answer his questions and give him thoughtful advice,  the king got so use to it that he grew fond of her.  He tried many times to advance their relationship,  but your mom was already in love and soon to be married to another man.  The man who raised you. " Slowly the blade leaves further from Rena's neck. "The king grew furious,  as a king he never felt so heartbroken about something he was losing,  and refused to let go of your mom.  She was banned from leaving his side,  or he would kill her. Your mother did as the king said , and stayed by his side,  however she wasn't happy and yearned to see the one she loved,  so she decided to sneak out.  She didn't make it far,  as the king was always watching her,  and he caught her. He forced your mom to bed with him,  and then threw her to the side as if she was nothing to him.  Your mom was never the same,  and she was pregnant.  She was ashamed and afraid to see her lover,  she went to the king and told him about the baby.  The king refused her and told her to kill the baby. That day your mom grew the strongest hate she could for the king. At that time it was announced that Queen Hwangbo would be having a baby,  Princess Pil.  Your mother furious decided she would give birth to you , even though the king told her he wanted nothing to do with you. When you we're born your mom wanted to ruin your king with your existence.  She never told anyone that the king was the real father,  and asked the king to make you Pil's official lady.  This upset the king,  but he didn't want to seem suspicious and so he agreed to it,  falling right into your mom's trap.  She had devised a plan to make you the rightful princess.  First by keeping you by Pil's side,  then when it seemed you we're ready , kill Pil,  and announce you as the king's baby. She was going to have you kill your best friend.  Have you ever wondered why you we're the only lady extremely skilled in fighting and handling swords?  You we're set to be the revenge since the beginning. Now this is where I come in.  The king felt strange having you by Pil's side so he assigned me to be by your side and gain your trust like an older sister, then kill you. If it wasn't for my weak heart for your innocent life,  I would have killed you then,  but instead I convinced the king to send you away from the palace when he sent Pil away. Thus leading up to your current life. " It was so much to take in,  Rena knew that,  but it was the cruelty of the palace. 

Yeom dropped her hand away from Rena,  and tears began to fall down her face. "This isn't true.  None of this is true. " Yeom couldn't stop crying,  there was no way her whole life was a lie.  "Why are you lying to me, " yeom yelled at Rena.  "Why would you lie to me, " her voice growing louder and louder,  as it began to sank in.

"Yeom is that you, " a voice called out. Footsteps slowly becoming louder.

Rena took this as her chance,  the blade was no longer at her throat.  Yeom turning her head towards the voice,  wouldn't see it coming.  Quickly grabbing a vase Rena knocked Yeom out and ran for it.

.......................................................................

"Yeom can you hear me, " a gentle male voice said. Yeom slowly opened her eyes , and saw she was in her room. Jung by her side.

"What's going on, " she asked as she moved a little. Was it all a dream, and she had simply been asleep.

"Be careful Yeom,  don't move to much,  you we're attacked,  but we haven't found the attacker. "

Yeom quickly rose up,  but winced as her head sent a stinging pain through her.  It wasn't a dream.

Jung quickly laid her back down. " Your in no position to be moving.  I need to stay by your side,  someone had taken the Princess. Wang So went to search for her,  so it's not safe to be out right now. "

"I need be by Pil's side.  I need to protect her, " Yeom cried.  She had to keep Pil safe,  she was not the monster her mother raised her to be. 

"Yeom please rest,  Wang So will find her I promise. "