Chapter 35 (Part 1)

_Chapter 35-1~ Field Trips_

"As it is an annual thing, the third years will be allowed to participate in a school field trip," Mr. Matsuda declared at the end of class after handing out permission slips. "We will be going to Kyoto, and the weekend-long trip itself will be taking place in May. Other details are still being finalized."

Almost as soon as the words left his mouth, excited chatter filled the room. Most kids even rose from their seats to converse with others animatedly about what they had heard about the trip from previous years.

"Hey, Reina," Erika hissed over to me. "Do you think this trip will be fun?"

"It seems like it'll be," I admitted.

"Right?" she agreed. "But I'm going to ask those girl over there if they know more about it. They look like they do." Without waiting for my response, Erika got up to her feet and approached a group of girls who were twittering to themselves. With a polite smile, she spoke to them rather easily and soon, they responded back to her in a friendly manner also.

I watched this all unfold in surprise. I recognized a few of those girls from previous years, and had always felt so reclusive to even try to talk to them. Maybe it was because Erika was new and seemed used to befriending practically everyone? I was slightly envious she could associate herself with people more than I ever could during my many years here.

Letting out a sigh, I directed my gaze away from the sight and faced my seat mate.

"What do you think of the trip, Iwasaki?" I asked him.

Briefly meeting my eyes, he spoke, "It doesn't matter. I'm not going."

My mouth fell in shock. "What? But why not? It'd be really fun!"

"I doubt that," he responded fairly easily. "You shouldn't go either."

"Why not?"

Resting his head on his arms, Ryu paused. "Without me you'd probably get yourself hurt."

"I will not," I said, jutting my chin and scoffing. "I'm perfectly capable of surviving a weekend without your unnecessary help, thank you."

"That's very worrisome of you to say," Ryu pointed out.

I rolled my eyes. "No matter what you tell me, I'm going. That's why you should come too."

He exhaled a sigh. Tilting his head my way, he watched me thoughtfully with his head on his arms. "Do you really want me to go?"

I bobbed my head without a second's hesitation. "Yes."

Sparing me one long look, he turned away his eyes.

I shook my head in disbelief. "Oh, c'mon! Stop acting like this'll be bad. It'll be fun, promise."

"How do you know? Have you ever been on a trip like this?"

"No..." I replied. "I was always too scared of getting involved in this academy before... But! That's exactly why I know it'll be memorable!"

Ryu didn't answer, instantly bringing down my spirits.

"Have you ever been on one?" I asked him.

"No," he answered.

My eyes lit up. "Then that's even more of a reason to go! Let's both go and enjoy ourselves! Okay?"

Ryu slightly frowned, seeming reluctant under my pressuring gaze. "Fine..." he murmured in defeat. "I'll go."

I cracked a grateful smile.