Chapter III - The Bath

Much to Sephiroth's annoyance and Zack's mistake Alice was strapped in the middle back seat without a view, causing her to become curious of the things inside the car. "Wha' this?" (What's this?) She loudly questioned, stretching forward to reach the gear stick.

"Leave it!" Sephiroth made sure to keep his eyes on the busy road.

A loud snort filled the air, followed by a continuous snoring. Sephiroth frowned, if Zack fell on him he would not hesitate to decapitate the teenager... and find immense satisfaction in doing so. His thought was interrupted when a tiny giggle entered his ears... and it surprised him. It was the first time he'd heard 'his child' laugh just as he'd begun to believe that one so damaged had lost the capability of laughter or perhaps had never received it. He couldn't deny it was a nice sound, like tiny silver bell's jingling back and forth, or glass chimes in a gentle breeze. Yet it did not bring a smile to his face.

More giggles surfaced from her when Zack snored again.

'I wonder what's so funny in this.' He stopped the car when he approached the traffic lights and slowly glared at them, waiting for the colour to change.

"Num, num, num..." Zack munched in his sleep, turning his head from side-to-side. Sephiroth stared for a moment, Zack truly was asleep; Sephiroth wondered if he should suggest a sleep specialist.

After a while there were some small squeaky grunts coming from the back of the car,

Alice had become so quiet that Sephiroth had to remind himself she was still there. "What are you doing?" He barked, looking into the car mirror and watching her tug on her seatbelt.

She suddenly stopped and lent back.

"I repeat, what were you doing?"

She lowered her head and began to chew on her hand again.

Sephiroth ignored her, paying attention to his driving. The faint click he heard was just background noise until Alice crawled over the gear stick to get to Zack, obviously having learnt how to unbuckle herself.

"Child!" Sephiroth swerved the car as he temporarily lost control, waking Zack.

Zack blinked a few times and then looked at the tearful little girl on his lap, looking up at him with big unhappy green eyes. "Get back in your seat." He gently spoke. A large divergence compared to Sephiroth's tone.

Sephiroth parked and Zack climbed out to move Alice into the back of the car.

"What did you think you were doing?" He growled, glaring over his shoulder at the toddler as she was buckled in again. Not making the same mistake Zack moved her to the side seat, folding her blanket beneath her to boost her height so she could stare out the window. "Why didn't you entertain her?"

"I'll look after her! This is my first time babysitting you know!" He climbed back in the front, rather annoyed at Sephiroth's behaviour, had he known becoming a SOLDIER meant playing babysitter he might have re-thought his running away from home last year.

"Hodo..." Alice muttered, tugging on a blowing lock of Sephiroth's hair.

Sephiroth immediately tensed. How could this...thing...confuse him for Hojo?

"Alice, baby, this is Sephiroth, your dad. Not Hojo." Zack explained, leaning his head back and trying to get comfortable.

"Daddy Zack?"

"No, that's daddy, I'm Uncle Zack."

"Hodo..." Alice repeated after a few seconds of silence. "Dat dat?" (What's that?) She pointed to a house out the car window.