Chapter XX - Camp D

Alice had crammed three gingerbread men into her mouth before going next door to admire the kittens, tabby cats, eleven weeks old – old enough to be played with. She was happy to just sit among them, stroking those that wandered closest, giggling at the grey one stretched on its back reaching up to play with her hand.

The cat owner, Rey, sat between Lucia and Gillian, like three hawks, staring at Alice as if she had two heads.

"...Someone has to say it." Mrs Rey brazenly announced, dressed all in black she looked akin to a crow.

She was the oldest woman in the village, an oracle to the children, a devoted widow and spectacle of older times to their parents. "The child is too small, too skinny and stranger than both her parents put together!" She emphasised with a stomp of her cane. Alice stared at it; her frightened eyes were quickly distracted by the ginger kitten stood on its hind legs pawing at her hair.

Lucia rolled her eyes. "She is both her parents put together. And she can hear you."

"What did you say?"

"I said she can hear you!"

"I cannot hear you!" Rey scolded. "You young women... you don't form your words properly!" She moved her hand, imitating a mouth, frowning in the only way an oracle of a woman can.

"We understand, Mrs Rey." Gillian patted her hand before the old woman could get anymore distressed. "I think the kittens are getting tired." She stood, unwilling to say Alice was anxious or lie that she was tired for fear of a lecture. "I'll take Alice home and get her something to eat. It was good to see you."

"Take care dears." She kissed them each goodbye.

"Come along Alice, the kittens are ready to have their nap." Gillian ushered Alice out the door. "That lady can't hear much," She told her as soon as the door was closed, "that's why she speaks so loudly." She held her hand, stroking the scabbing, gnawed skin with her thumb.

"...Do'n'ke'ck." Alice mumbled.

Gillian bent her neck. "What? Say that again."

Alice chewed her other hand. "D'on' 'ike stick." (I don't like the stick.)

"That's to help her walk," Lucia explained, "to stop her falling over."

"Oh..."

Gillian smiled with a relived sigh, Alice had begun speaking. "Did you like playing with the kittens?"

The side of Alice's mouth pulled up a little. "...Soft..."

"They were soft?" Gillian was eager for another response.

Alice nodded.

"Well, which one was your favourite?" Lucia encouraged.

Alice hugged Pancake to her chest. "'White one."

Gillian smiled. "That's my favourite too."

"Lucia!" Alice hid behind Gillian's skirt when a tall man marched towards them, his brown hair bouncing with his brazen stride. "Is it true?"

"Keep your voice down!" Lucia hushed. "You're scaring her!"

He stopped and awkwardly glanced down at Alice, looking as perplexed as he was guilty. "Why didn't Genesis tell us?"

Lucia put her hands on her hips. "Because he's Genesis!"

He crossed his arms. "I thought we should have a bonfire in the field tonight," he looked to Gillian, "to end the spectacle in one blow."