17

(( Aira's Outfit ))

(( Aira's Outfit ))

"So, while introducing the African Cane Toad sounded like a good way to deal with Australia's infestation with the Grey Back Beetle - unfortunately, the toad also decided to eat everything else in sight." Aira cringed at Ms. Finch's' words as she watched her teacher pace around the front of the classroom.

Lydia then elbowed her rather harshly and she turned to hiss in pain at her when Lydia motioned forward towards Sydney who was scratching the back of her head, her air looking strange and ragged.

Aira's phone buzzed and she glanced down at the text to see it was Theo who had texted her. She showed the text to Lydia just as he sent another.

Theo

Chimera?

Look at her hair...

At Theo's text both girls looked forward to see Sydney tugging her hand through her hair, bringing a rather large clump out with her movement. Aira shot Lydia a worried look and Lydia nodded, biting her lip as she kept her eyes on the girl in front of her.

The teacher continued to talk, unaware of Theo, Lydia and Aira's observations on the girl. Aira watched with a frown as the girl looked down at the mass of hair trapped between her fingers and started to panic silently.

"Once an invasive species is introduced, everything changes."

At Ms Finch's words Sydney stood up and gathered her things, and placed a drop slip on the teahcer's desk before beginning to leave the room. "Wise decision, Sydney." Ms Finch spoke as Sydney left. Aira shared worried looks with both Theo and Lydia before standing up to follow behind Sydney.

"Aira, Lydia." She spoke, stopping both the girls in their tracks. "You know it's for the best.." Ms Finch spoke, glancing over at Aira who had turned her attention to the door. Aira then left, completely ignoring her words and Lydia shrugged at Ms. Finch before following her.

Scott and Kira shared confused and worried looks before glancing back to the door where their friends had just left.

The two girls wandered around the building for a while before Aira paused, hearing sniffling noises and grabbed Lydia's wrist, motioning towards an empty staff room where she suspected Sydney had run off to.

Aira let Lydia's arm drop and Lydia slowly pushed the door open, both girls looking into the room to see Sydney sitting alone, crying almost silently aside from the occasional sniff. "I was just looking for yourmom." Sydney explained as she noticed the girls' presence. "I mean, Mrs. Martin."

"You okay?" Aira asked as she took a few steps into the room, Lydia just behind her.

Sydney sniffed again before raising her hand full of hair to the girls. "Does this look okay?" Sydney asked in a small voice as she stared down at the pile of hair in her palm, her hand shaking slightly.

"How long has it been happening?" Lydia asked, sticking to her and Theo's chimera theory.

"Three years." Sydney replied and Aira let out a breath of relief, not sure what she would do if Sydney did turn out to be a chimera. Lydia shared a shocked look with Aira before taking a few steps closer to Sydney.

"Years?" She asked, shock evident in her tone.

Aira followed behind Lydia, giving Sydney an apologetic look as she let out a sigh. "It's stress.." She explained, still looking down at the hair in her hand. "I've tried everything.. medication, acupuncture.. hypnosis.." She said the last one with a slight laugh.

"Have you tried not taking the hardest classes in school?" Aira asked without thinking, instantly regretting it as she knew Sydney was under a lot of pressure already and didn't need to be judged for trying to have a good future ahead of her.

Luckily, Sydney laughed lightly, wiping the tears away from under her eyes, Lydia laughing lightly too. "Lemme see it.." Lydia offered and Sydney gave her a confused look. "... Maybe I can help cover it up?" She smiled lightly.

Sydney nodded and began to move her hair to the side as Lydia and Aira switched sides to look at her hair, or lack of.. Sydney lifted her hair fully, revealing a small bald spot just above her ear. Aira smiled lightly and began to raise her hands to help when Lydia gasped.

Aira turned to look at her, panic etched on her face as Lydia stumbled backwards, seemingly struggling for breath. She ran backwards towards the door before falling back and landing on the ground with a thud, not moving.

"Get Scott!" Aira panicked as she ran towards Lydia.

"Okay! I'll be as quick as I can!" Sydney shouted a reply before bouncing up from her seat and running out of the classroom. Aira heard the click of Sydney's shoes as she ran down the empty hallways.

"Lyds, come on.. wake up, please." Aira begged, dropping to her knees beside Lydia who laid on the ground, eyes wide open with a dazed look on her face. She moved her head to Lydia's face and tilted it sideways, feeling small puffs of breath of her cheek, confirming Lydia's breathing.

Aira had no idea what she was supposed to do as she lifted Lydia's head and rested it on her lap before Scott came rushing into the room, Theo hot on his heels. "What happened?" Scott asked, panic in his voice as he noticed Lydia.

"I- I don't know! She just dropped!" Aira replied and Scott placed his hands on Lydia's cheeks and started a mantra of her name.

"Lydia!" He called one final time before Lydia's eyes shot open and she let out a breath. Scott let out a sigh of relief as Aira placed her heart over her chest, feeling the quick beating under her fingertips.

Lydia's hand shook and Scott instantly reached out to grab it. "I'm okay.." Lydia muttered, her eyes closing before she could finish the sentence. "I'm fine.." She added with a small breath, her hand still shaking under Scott's grasp.

"You remembered something." Theo spoke sharply as he leaned over slightly to examine Lydia.

"Not about the dread doctors.." Lydia replied as she sighed out and glanced at Aira before turning her attention back to the boys in front of her. Scott never let go of her hand, his worried eyes boring into her. "Nothing about them or the surgery."

"Well what was it?" Scott asked, standing up and moving to the side of Lydia, helping her stand along with Theo. Lydia glanced around the room a few times before sitting down at the table Sydney was previously sat at.

"My grandmother.." Lydia replied, sounding confused. "At Eichen house.." She added.

"Lydia!" Natalie called as she burst into the room with Sydney just behind her. "Lydia! Oh my God, what happened?" Natalie asked, mostly towards Aira as Sydney had said it was her and Aira with Lydia when she had fallen. "Are you alright?" She disregarded her previous question quickly.

"Mom I'm fine." Lydia spoke in a sharp tone. "It was nothing.." She lied as Natalie petted her hair softly.

"Was it a black out?" Natalie asked softly, eyeing her daughter cautiously. "Did you faint?" Natalie asked sharply this time, keeping her voice low, although that did nothing as the other four people in the room could still hear her clearly.

"Yeah.." Lydia lied. "Yeah, I fainted..." She continued. "But I'm fine... promise." Lydia spoke, glancing at the floor away from her mother's concerned eyes. Natalie let out a huff of annoyance before nodding and looking away too, towards Aira.

Aira simply shrugged and glanced back at Lydia.