Tattoo

The girl had a butterfly tattoo permanently on her back and for some reason that meant that the respect people had for her had to fade away.

Her parents told her it was something she'd regret, that she'd never have a job and that would mean that she would live in misery.

Her friends told her that she shouldn't have done it so big and so visible, her upper back, that instead it should have been small and hidden. Her boyfriend broke up with her, telling her that she should've asked him for his opinion and that she no longer looked beautiful. Her boss fired her, saying that as much it wasn't visible when wearing a blouse and a blazer, it was "rebellious" and "disrespectful" for such a company to have a secretary having such thing on her skin. The old ladies that always sat quietly at the bus station where now whispering to each other and looking at her tattoo in distaste.

"How could she put that on her skin?" "Does she want no future?" "What will her friends say?"

(How could she have freedom over her own body?) (Doesn't she want to be accepted for who she isn't?) (What will her judges say?)

For her that butterfly was symbolic for freedom, the thing that you can never truly have because someone is always trying to rip off your wings.

Because no one's truly free right?