Part Ten

The next day, he decides to take her shopping. She needs something other than her white dress to wear, no matter how beautiful she looks in it. He checks in with his mother- something he hasn't done in months- and lets her know where they'll be. She agrees and tells him that she'll be at the hospital, working.

"Flower," he murmurs, rubbing her arm. "It's time to get up." She stirs, cracking open her eyes only to shut them from the bright sunlight. He chuckles at her adorableness, then leans over and kisses her on the forehead. "Come on, Sunshine. Daylight's a-wasting."

She stretches her arm straight up, arching her back as she moves into a sitting position. "Good morning," she greets. Her voice is deep and thick with sleep, but he loves it. He loves everything about her: her musical laugh, the way her eyes twinkle when she's happy, her soft hair that he could tangle his fingers in all the time, and most of all, her smile.

"Morning," he responds, holding back those three little words that have been on his tongue for days now. It's only been just over a week after meeting her, and he already knows. His heart and mind finally agree on something. She's it for him. She's the one. "How did you sleep?"

"Good. Your bed is comfortable." She nuzzles back into the pillow and closes her eyes, releasing a content sigh. The previous night, they had stayed up talking to each other about absolutely nothing, yet it was about everything. He learned that her favorite color was the color of the ocean when the sun is cutting through the water, learned that she loved Christmas and learned that her favorite kind of music had no words. Learned that she had graduated high school already, having done so a year early because she had gotten all her credits done. He learned that she wanted to travel the world and see everything. He got to see the world through her eyes, and he wished he could see it the way she did. It was so much more vibrant the way she lived.

She had learned that his favorite color was burnt orange, that his favorite season was summer and that before he had built his walls around himself, he was a very social person. She learned that his favorite thing to do had been to go on his family vacations because they went somewhere new every year and he loved the beach and the sand and surfing. Learned that they shared the same dream of traveling the world and seeing all there is to see. He didn't think he lived a bright enough life, but he had such a unique way of looking at things. He could see the darkness in everything, but with her help, he would learn to see everything as colorfully as he had before.

After talking, she had fallen asleep, worn out completely from doing absolutely nothing. She had thought he would just move her back to her bed, but she woke up exactly where she had fallen asleep.

She knows things are probably moving faster than they should be, but she doesn't care. She already knows whole-heartedly that she loves this boy and there isn't anything in the world she wouldn't do for him. After her past though, she's had a rough time trying to say those three little words. After he had told her he was falling in love, her heart had beat so fast she wasn't sure how she didn't faint, but she couldn't for the live of her make herself say it back.

Now though, the words were tickling her tongue and she had to bite it in order to keep the words from spilling from her lips.

He makes breakfast again and she helps, making toast and spreading jam on them while he scrambles the eggs. "We're going shopping today," he tells her.

"What for?" She asks.

"You need some clothes," he says, glancing at her from over his shoulder. "As good as you look in that white dress, I think it needs a break." She starts to protest, not wanting to make him go to more trouble than he already has for her, but he hushes her. "We're not negotiating, okay? I want to do this for you."

She smiles and nods. "Thank you, Kaden."

His heart rate doubles its speed every time his name rolls off her tongue. It's quite possibly the best way anyone has ever said his name. "You're welcome." He sets breakfast down in front of her and they eat in a comfortable silence.

In the garage, he presents her with a helmet. "This is for you," he tells her. "So you don't have to always wear mine when we're on the bike."

She smiles and he knows it's her way of thanking him. She puts it on her head and he helps her adjust it, and then he gives her his leather jacket to wear. He wears a long sleeve shirt instead. He starts the motorcycle and he feels her arms, wrapped around his waist, tighten as she prepares to move. He lets the engine roar and then they're off, riding the short distance to the nearest shop in town.

With his help, she picks out three more dresses, two shirts and short sets, and two pairs of shoes. One of them is sandals and one of them is heavier, closed-toe boots for her to wear when she's on the motorcycle. He pays and puts the clothes in the bags next to his seat. "We're going to another store," he tells her. "We're going to get you a good leather jacket for you to wear on the motorcycle so you're protected."

She nods and hands his back. "If it isn't too far, then you can wear yours. I'll wear mine as soon as I get it."

He nods and reluctantly puts his jacket back on. He feels much safer with it on, but he hates that she's so unprotected, even if it's only for a few moments. He takes off again, following the familiar route to the Harley store. The light is green when he reaches the intersection so he continues straight through, following behind another car and another on his front left.

He never even saw it coming.

A car, running the previous red light, smashes into his bike and sends him flying. He lands on the grass past the sidewalk, the air leaving his body with a huge whoosh. He lies there for a moment, struggling to get the air back into lungs, but it returns. He looks down and sees a gash on his leg from where the car hit, but it's not broken.

He looks around for the girl who has managed to steal his heart. His eyes land on her as she lays in the middle of the street, completely still. All traffic has stopped and he can already hear sirens screaming, but he doesn't care about any of that. He can see the mangled mess of his bike, but he doesn't care.

He scrambles out into the street, throwing his helmet off as he runs. He kneels down beside her and tilts her head up to look at him. He lifts the helmet off her face and sees that her eyes are firmly shut.

No, no, no, no no no no!