Part Eleven

He sits in the waiting room of the hospital, rocking impatiently on the uncomfortable chair. His hands are clasped tightly in front of him, his forehead resting on his fingers as pain consumes him. She's hurt. She could be gone, for all he knows.

His heart clenches painfully at the thought of losing her. He couldn't stand to lose her. That would be losing his heart, and without that necessary body part, he would be walking around as an empty shell. She had given him back his life, but if she loses hers, his will be lost again. For forever, this time.

He closes his eyes as tears threaten, and he can't help but think he's cried more with her than he ever did in the past year. He knows, however, that it's not a weakness. It's a strength and he is in touch with his emotions once again, all thanks to her.

After running over to her, he had screamed on the ground, feeling as though his heart would stop beating if hers did. He had looked down at her leg to see if hers had broken in the accident, and to his dismay, it appeared to be. Her helmet had protected her head, but the visor had shattered and she had cuts above her left eyebrow and on her left cheekbone. He had lifted her into his arms, struggling to see through his tears, as he felt blood on her shoulder. He looked, only too see major road rash from where she had landed on the ground. After that, it was all a bit of a blur.

The paramedics had let him ride in the ambulance to the hospital, where he had met up with his mother. She had stitched up the cut on his leg, requiring seventeen stitches, and given him a painkiller. She had looked into his eyes and seen the seriousness of the situation, promising him she would do her best to save her.

So here he sits, refusing to leave without her. It was nearly an hour later, and she was still in surgery. They were taking a CAT scan to look for brain injuries, but the doctor who had come out before said it didn't look like she had any.

Finally, his mother comes out and over to him. She kneels down in front of him and looks him in the eyes. His heart stutters as he fears the worst, but she smiles at him. "She's going to be okay."

"Thank god," he murmurs, the tears finally free from his eyes and he buries his face in his hands.

She wraps her arms around her son, feeling bittersweet. She wishes she could take all his pain away, but she's so thankful for the girl who has. That girl has finally made him happy again, she thinks.

"Normally, people aren't allowed back there directly after surgery, but I talked to the doctor, and he's willing to make a special exception." She stands and offers him her hand. "Come on, kiddo."

He stands on shaky legs and takes her hand, following her through the labyrinth of corridors and hallways as she leads him to her room. His mother opens the door and he enters, his mom deciding to give them some time alone. She closes the door behind him and walks away.

He stops and stands and stares at the girl on the bed. Despite cuts on her face and her leg in a brace and giant bandages wrapping around her shoulders, she's still the most beautiful thing he's ever seen. He hurries over to her and gently takes her hand, relishing the warmth of her hand.

She's asleep, looking much more peaceful than she appeared on the road. Her mane of hair is framing her face towards the fronts and the sides are splayed about on the pillow, making her look just like a flower.

"I thought I lost you forever," he whispers in her ear, knowing full well she can't hear him. A tear falls from his eye and lands on her cheek. He leans down and kisses her softly, then pulls the chair in the room right up beside the bed. He realizes how tired he actually is, and quickly falls asleep.