Epilogue Pt 3

She hugs him tighter. "Thank you," she whispers.

"Anytime, my Flower," he says. He gives her a mischievous look and she grabs his shoulders, knowing exactly what's running through his thoughts. He picks her up from the rock and tries to toss her back into the river, but she's ready this time. She's stuck to him like glue, his arms around his and her legs around his abdomen. He tries to get her off, only for her extra weight to throw off his balance and send them both into the cold water as he slips.

Soon, they climb out and lay in the grass. He finds some more flowers and tucks them into her hair as she watches nature and talks to him about it. He listens, completely and totally at home, and watches her as she becomes animated, her expression showing exactly what she's thinking.

The sun dries them and they both get dressed again. She hugs him. "What was that for?" He asks.

"Thank you for the perfect birthday," she says, gazing at his eyes. She loved his eyes so much, more than anything else in the world.

"Actually, it isn't quite over," he says. He reaches into the pocket of his coat but doesn't pull his hand out. "Flower, you're the love and light and happiness in my life. You rescued me from a dark path and taught me how to live again. You made me a better person and I'm so happy you came into my life. I don't know what I would do without you beside me. I don't know what our future holds. I don't know much, but I do know one thing. I know I love you with all of my heart and soul and body and that you make me the happiest I've ever been." He kneels down in front of her and brings his hand from his pocket, revealing a small, simple gold band. "Poppy, will you marry me?"

She covers her mouth with her hand, tears welling in her eyes. "Yes! Yes, of course I will!" She leans down and kisses him. He slips the ring onto her finger and he feels her lips smile against his, tasting her happy tears. "I love you so much," she says.

"I love you too!"

She pulls away and looks at her ring. She notices small, curved letters and she reads them. He watches as her cheeks flush light pink and she brushes her finger over the ring. "It's perfect," she says, tears threatening again.

"You told me it was your parents' thing, and I thought it could be ours, too." He gauges her emotions, knowing that doing this without her permission could land him in the dog house. He thinks that she will love it though, and he is correct.

"It's perfect," she says again, her eyes meeting his as she pulls her gaze away from the ring. Her eyes are the lightest shade of green he's seen yet, and he knows it's because she's happy. "I love it. I love you."

He kisses her, his lips smiling against hers. "I love you, so damn much," he says. He can't help but think that her parents had those three little words perfect. No, not 'I love you,' but something more.

Forever and Always.