Part Five

I walk away, putting a good distance between me and Adam's body. I pull out my phone and dial my father.

He answers with a quick, "Yes?"

"It's done. Take me home." I say wearily.

Silence for a few seconds, then, "Already?"

"Yes."

"I'll send the chauffeur. He'll be there in an hour. Pack your bags. Same parking lot you were dropped off at."

I take the long walk back to the dorms and repack all my stuff. I pull my two suitcases and bag out of my room and back to the parking lot. I wait for another half of an hour before the limo pulls up.

I get in as my chauffeur takes care of my bags. It's a four hour drive home so I try to get comfortable.

They will find his body soon enough. The Kunzites won’t suggest that it could have been murder. The Kunzites will agree that it was a heart attack even though they know I killed him. They can't get the police involved in case they discover some of their illegal activities. But the Kunzites will never give up trying to murder me for revenge.

Yes, I feel guilty. But I had to. I had to. You understand, right? I'd kill you too if my father told me to.

Because that's just who I am. That's who the Iolites are.

I hate who I am, who we are. But there's nothing I can do about it. It’s been this way since my family began.

We’re unchangeable.