Part 1: Encounter with Chief's Ex-wife

Pairing: YN X Jin Namba

In the instructors' room, News report:

"The number of people passing out randomly on the street has increased by 20 today. The cause of such occurrence is still unknown. Authorities have been investigating. The disease cannot be transmittable from skin to skin contact but authorities are warning people to be careful. Source and reservoir of disease still remains unclear....."

I knocked and walked into the room and all the instructors are watching the news report on a recent epidemic of an unknown disease. Hearing the knock, Goto turns around:

"Thanks for coming, the report I requested?"

I hand over the files Goto asked me to collect.

Recently, I having been assisting the instructors in investigating a potential terrorist group. It has been difficult to juggle my studying and investigation but there is no way that I would give up such precious chance to gain more field experience.

My eyes automatically caught sight of a familiar figure near the other instructors. As if he can sense my gaze, he turned around,

"Hello there little bird, what are you doing here?"

"I'm here to submit a report."

"I see, I've got more business to deal with the high up. Don't work too hard, little bird."

Chief Namba walks out of the room but gave me a firm pat on the shoulder before he exited. That pat worked like magic, I can feel his encouragement and all the fatigues from class dissipated in a second.

"I'll be leaving too."

I bowed to Goto and returned to the dorm.

On the way back, my phone buzzes. I take out my phone and it is a message from chief:

[-Keep your Sunday free, we are going out on a date-]

A big smile immediately spread over my face and I hugged the phone close to my chest. I skipped my way back to the dorm and all I could think of is what I'm are going to wear on the date.

Sunday.

The date was really fun, we went to the aquarium and I kept on imitating different fish faces which earned multiple laughs from chief.

After having a meal from a restaurant, both of us wandered around the street hand in hand. I walked pass a jewellery store and a pair of beautiful rings on the display window caught my eyes. I stopped momentarily to look the beautiful designs of the ring and sighed in admiration. The rings are so beautiful, I wish I can propose to the Chief with these rings. But judging at how pricy it is, there is no way I can afford it. Should I consider a side job? What would Chief think of woman proposing to a man? My face flushes with the idea and unknowingly, Chief watched on with affection.

Jin's POV:

Her cheek is getting red. Why is she so cute? Doesn't she know it's illegal to seduce an old man? She is smiling so happily, I hope she is thinking about our future.

I smiled and lightly squeezed her hand.

She is about to graduate soon, it's about time I put a ring on the finger. I moved my thumb to her ring finger and imagine the sensation of a ring.

She is going to become my wife. Just thinking about the idea is making me blush and burst with happiness. Although YN is already taking care of me and we are basically like newlyweds, the moment I put a ring on that finger is when she becomes Mrs Namba. YN Namba. Yes, I like the sound of that.

As I'm immersed in happy thoughts, a familiar voice interrupted: "Sir, would you like to donate? It's to help people with anxiety and depression."

I shifted my gaze from YN to the familiar voice. Stood next to me is my ex-wife: Yuriko.

YN's point of view.

My gaze was directed onto the unknown woman. She is so beautiful, even she is only wearing a simple charity T-shirt, it doesn't not hinder her beauty. Her small body and fragile look would bring out anyone's desire to protect her. To my surprise, she looks shocked as she saw chief.

"....Jin! Is that you?" Her shocked face turned into glee and held onto Chief's other free hand. Only then I realised that she wears the exact same ring as chief previous ring. That means......

"....Hello Yuriko, long time no see. This is my girlfriend, YN." Chief gently removed his hand from Yuriko's and gave my hand a slight squeeze.

"Hello, I'm YN, nice to meet you."

May it be my detective instinct or woman's intuition, I can sense that Yuriko doesn't like me very much, her face became gloomier after Chief declares I'm his girlfriend.

"Jin, I work around this area and does charity work for Y hospital, you should come around more often and we should catch up."

As if she is oblivious to my presence, she totally ignores me. Yup, she definitely doesn't like me. But why though? We've only just met. Could it be......could it be that she still likes Chief and doesn't like me because I'm his girlfriend? But she is so beautiful....Chief said she divorced him because he was too busy to come home, but maybe Chief still loves her? She definitely looks more mature and more like wife material than me. Am I really the best choice for Chief?

Unconsciously, sense of doubt and uneasiness arises and I'm feeling inferior to Yuriko.

"If time allows." Chief took out his wallet to put some money into the donation box. Yuriko's intense gaze locks onto Jin's now ringless finger.

Yuriko's POV.

Jin and what's her name left after making a donation. I hate her, I hate her. I HATE HER! I still love Jin so much. How dare she took Jin away from me! She must have seduced Jin and made him take his ring off! That ring was the vow to our love!

I regretted divorcing Jin. I loved him so much but he is always away. I felt miserable and lonely because he was always absent. But I made a grave mistake in divorcing him. My life fell completely apart afterward. My boss fired me for no reason and I've not been successful in finding proper jobs afterward.

I never stopped loving Jin for a second. So many times I've considered walking into the academy to visit him and reconcile. But how can I? I'm no longer his Mrs Namba.......

But seeing him today and witnessing how much love he is showing to the girl, I cannot stand it. All those love and affection were all supposed to be mine. He belonged....NO!! He BELONGS to ME! Jin is not the type of person to take of his ring. He loves me. Yes that's right, he loves me!! He wouldn't take off his ring! It's that girl's fault, her fault! Her fault! HER FAULT!

My face twists with rage and hate.

"Are you OK? Yuriko-san?" My co-worker tapped me from behind.

Quickly hiding and controls my expression, I turn around with an innocent smile.

"Sorry, I just ran into an old friend and remembered some old memories. Never mind that, let's work hard for today!" I gave her the brightest smile I have.

"Yuriko-san is so enthusiastic about this! You're such a nice person. Let's work hard!"

'Nice person' did she say? Unknown to anyone, what insane things I'm capable of in the name of love. But isn't that normal? What woman wouldn't be crazy to fight for their love? I'm not a lunatic, I'm just a normal woman, a woman yearning for her husband's love.

The one unexpected encounter brought forward a storm in Jin and YN's relationship. Can they endure all the obstacles thrown into their relationship?