Chapter 12: it's you, isn't it?

I told you I would manage no matter what the delivery spot, didn’t I?

Honestly, it could be anyone. We just held a party, for crying out loud! Except for that screen door...

Yup, I know what all the people on the roster look like. I guess that is kinda creepy, but a friend helped out and we got it done.

I sit down on the bathroom floor and try to collect my thoughts. Who could it be?

Well, I guess you could say I’m a friend of Jess’. And my question to you would be...are you Corey? Haha. I think I know the answer. The fact that you call her “Jessica” and your batman boxers comment gave it away.

Batman boxers? When have I ever told a friend of Jessica’s that I have Batman boxers? When did I even tell Jessica that I have Batman boxers?

I glare and throw a piece of celery at him.

“My boxers happen to be Batman,” I say in all seriousness. “Yours are the freakish cat-woman ones.” Suddenly, I realize that Emmaleigh is right here. I feel my cheeks heat up.

“Um...boxers aside...” Emmaleigh says quietly.

Holy--oh my God. I throw open the bathroom door and storm down to Jessica’s room.

“It’s you, isn’t it?” I say, throwing the pink piece of paper in Emmaleigh’s face.

“W-w-what are you talking about?” I realize that I’m a little too worked up about this for my own good. I must be scaring her. I sit down next to her on the bed.

“The post-its. They’re from you, aren’t they?” I ask, softer. She looks at me and then the pillow in her hands.

“I need to go to the bathroom.” She tries to move off the bed, but I grab her arm.

“Hey, tell me first. It’s just a yes or no question.” She looks down and shakes her head.

“No.” I grab her chin and force her to look up.

“You’re not allowed to lie. Are you the one I’ve been exchanging post-its with the entire time?” She seems to relax a bit. She squares her shoulders and looks me in the eye.

“No. No I’m not.” I let go of her, confused.

“Then who is this” I wave the post-it around “from?” The door is kicked open and I see Jessica with a water bottle in each hand.

“It was Jess,” Emmaleigh says, looking at her friend.

“What, the post-its?” Jess says. “Yeah, that was me. I didn’t know it was you until Emmaleigh saw the note and told me about your Batman boxers.” She winks at me. “They’re very nice boxers, by the way. Far superior to Matt’s cat-woman version.” I feel myself blush a bit. This is a...surprise.

“Ah. So...I guess you win. Since you guessed first.” She nods and climbs into bed next to Emmaleigh.

“Yup. You owe me lunch, pal.”

“Yeah,” I say with a nod. “Well, I’ll see you guys tomorrow...or rather, later today.” It is like four in the morning or something by now.

“What took you so long?” Matt asks when I finally come back to the room.

“Jessica’s the post-it note person.” He sits up suddenly in bed.

“She’s the who?”