Don't!

**Jesse's POV**

I was stationed with my best mate Maxi near the cliffs, and we were watching the water. Suddenly, he turned to me and said, "You remember the girl from yesterday? Isn't that her over there?"

I turned around and saw her scaling the cliff. I just panicked. I rushed off the rhino and ran towards the top of the cliff. She was already on the edge. The only thing I could say was "Please, don't jump!!"

It was too late; there was nothing I could do to help her. Nevertheless, I continued sprinting toward the edge when the most ill-advised notion crossed my mind: "I'm going to jump to save her!"

I ultimately felt the ground disappear from under my feet, and I fell. It seemed like a long fall, but I made sure my feet touched the water first. It took me a few seconds to readjust myself once fully submerged because I was a little disoriented.

I then swam towards the motionless body lying near me, face down in the water. I turned her around and discovered with a sigh of release that she wasn't blue. However, exhaustion was setting in; I was bearing the weight of both our bodies without any solid ground beneath me. I was using one arm to make sure she was floating while the other was searching for a pulse at her neck. 

Thankfully, there was a faint pulse, though weak. It was clear she needed immediate help as her breathing was irregular. I kept calling out to her, desperately trying to get her to respond, even though I didn't know her name. I was exhausted.  I took a deep breath, pinched her nose and gently parted her lips to deliver a breath of air into her lungs. She coughed a few times, then took a deep breath in. I rubbed her sternum, urging her to open her eyes, and felt her weak hand trying to remove mine. It was the most reassuring sign, telling me that she was starting to respond. A deep sigh of relief escaped me, a tension I didn't realize I was holding finally released.

"Darling, can you hear me? Please, you have to help me. Open your eyes, even if just for a moment, so I know you're awake," I implored, my voice filled with urgency and concern.

Her eyelids flickered as she began to regain consciousness, but it seemed she was still disoriented, as she struggled against me. I knew I couldn't let her go, or she'd sink; she was in no condition to swim back to shore. It appeared she had lost consciousness once more, as she released her grip and leaned on me limply. Making a quick decision, I started moving toward the beach, choosing not to wake her again in her fragile state.

I rounded the corner of the cliff, making myself visible from the beach. A surge of relief washed over me when I spotted Maxi paddling toward me, shouting something indistinct in the distance.

"Come on, mate! Hang on for just a few more seconds; I'm on my way!"

My muscles were burning from all that swimming, and I could feel myself getting tired. Yet, I remained focused on one thing: keeping her head above water. She needed to return to shore swiftly, she was going to live.

Maxi arrived on a rescue board, and I half-laid on it, my eyes closing as I gasped for breath. I knew she was in capable hands with him, and I could finally allow myself to relax.