Prolouge

The soft music of the rainstorm outside was drowned out by the harsh cries of a baby. Even the mother's soothing song couldn't calm the baby. Thunder struck as she wriggled an arm free of the pink blanket she was snugly wrapped in. The nurses, frantic to get the baby to sleep, put their heads together. There must be some way to soothe the baby girl and her wails.

Another bolt of white light danced across the dark clouds outside the window, followed by a deep rumble of thunder. The noise had masked the sound of the new stranger in the room, shadowed as the fire light of the infirmary flickered.

"You were always one to make a baby cry, Abbey." The tall and dark stranger said, his lean and lanky body leaning gracefully against a wall.

His amber eyes gleamed as another flash of lightening glowed outside. His posture was feral and cat-like, tension and aggression rolling off his form. The room began to quiet, even the baby girl's wails beginning to soften. Yet, her sobs and small whines still echoed on the walls.

Pushing himself from the wall, the man approached the nurse holding the girl, Abbey. His eyes scanned the baby's face, studying her round cheeks, small nose, almond shaped eyes. Sniffling and rubbing her face, the baby managed to blink a few times before looking up at the man, towering over her.

The man looked straight into her brown eyes, framed by her dark lashes. All babies, it seemed, were beautiful and soft looking, but she had all of them beat by a mile. Her skin ivory, matching perfectly to her soft blonde hair that covered the top of her head. The stranger's finger traveled down her cheek, following her tear trails.

"That's enough, Darrien." Abbey snapped, stepping back and moving the baby girl away from the dark mass standing before them.

He shook his head, long black hair moving back and forth in front of his eyes, as he made a small 'tsk'ing noise between his teeth. Just as he did so, she began crying again, louder than before. Her precious face contorting as it grew red and tears welled at her eyes.

'Why are you here anyways, Darrien?" The nurse snapped at him.

His reply was simple as he shrugged, "I thought I heard a maiden's distressed cries, so I came as quick as I could." His tone dripped with insincerity and scorn. "Why do you think I'm here, Abbey? The child has been cursed and needs to be taken care of."

The nurse tightened her grip, pulling the baby closing to her chest and touching her face softly. Before Abbey could argue her head snapped to the side at the sound of someone stirring. It was the girl's mother, stumbling from her bed and putting herself between the man and her daughter.

"Don't you touch her, ever." Sweat beaded on her eyebrow, she was still weak from child bearing, eyes dull and legs shaking. But she was still willing to put her life on the line for her daughter's. "She's already been named," Her voice shook. "You couldn't harm her if you wanted."

That made a muscle in the man's jaw flutter with rage, hands clenching into fists at his sides.But he couldn't fight against her, she had a strong reasoning behind her. His job was to 'take care' of all the children born who were cursed and unwanted. Perhaps though, he could strike up a deal.

"The child won't stop crying. She'll starve from lack of food." He lifted a dark eyebrow. "I can soothe her cries, for a small price..." A wicked grin made his face look like a fox's.

The mother blinked and nodded her head slowly, "What's your price, Darrien?"

His bright eyes sparked with intrest."The price of never being able to lie..."