Seeing Ghosts

You always throw yourself into stampeding deer? The taunting voice was back.

I scrambled up to my feet, eyes scanning the trees. With the sudden movement I felt the warm liquid of my blood start down my face. I lifted my fingers to the cut on my cheek. A deer hoof must of caught my cheek.

I winced and then focused on the task at hand: finding the owner of the voice. Again, I let my eyes scan the forest. Nothing particularrly important, besides the trampled ground and undergrowth. I narrowed my eyes, peering through the mist.

"Whose out there?" My voice answered it self with a soft echo.

My nose wrinkled and I sighed to my self. I was going crazy, there was a voice in my head, and I was just going nuts. An acorn dropped from the tree, making a small thunk as it hit the top of my head. I swore a colorful array of words and rubbed the top of my head. I crouched down and examined the acorn, frowning. How ironic.

"Hello, Elliot." The voice, I heard through my ears this time.

I  stood and looked up. Before me was a man, tall, dark, and damn handsome. He stood like a panther, hands at his sides. A buck skin colored fabric was draped over his shoulders, tapering out at the backs of his knees. A small cloak and a hood sewn on.

"Who are you?" I hissed after doing a thorough sweep of him.

"An old friend." He uttered softly as he walked towards me.

"Stay away from me." I growled.

Just as he was about to make another move, I heard someone else's footsteps, accompanied by many others.

'Well it was nice and all chatting with you, but our little fun has been interrupted." He said, his voice soft and cooing.

I let my eyes narrow at him more and clenched my fists at my side. Who was this bastard?

See you around, my lucky Clover

And just like that, he was gone, turning to walk away, his physical appearance disintegrating into the mist.

"Elliot!" It was Maverick.

I watched him come up towards me, eyes instantly moving to the cut on my cheek that was now drippinh blood. I looked past him though, at where the strange man had just vanished. So now I was seeing things?

"Did you see that man?" I asked, my voice quivering.

Maverick looked over his shoulder and scanned the trees, "What man?"

I pointed straight ahead of me, "He was there, just a second ago!"

They won't believe you, Clover

There was that voice again. I chewed the inside of my lips, eyes looking to Maverick. Over his shoulder, I spotted the man leaning against a tree, a crooked smirk on his face. My mouth fell open and I pointed at where he stood.

"He's right there, Maverick." I felt my throat tighten with anxiety.

Maverick looked over his shoulder where I pointed and I saw his dark eyebrows draw up in confusion and question. I looked again for the man and he was gone, nothing left. Maverick looked back at me, reaching out to take my elbow. Before he could clasp his iron tight grip in my arm I wrenched free and took a few steps out of reach, looking around.

Tsk tsk, what did I tell you, Clover?

"My name isn't Clover." I said outloud.

Maverick and the men approaching were looking at me now, but they weren't important. I turned in a slow circle, scanning the trees. Leaves and sticks crunched under my feet until I came to a stop facing the man. He stood close to my kill, a hand in a pocket the other holding an arrow that had been in my quiver.

Blood dripped from the steel tip, it had been an arrow I had just used to kill the bull elk. I glared at him, taking a few threatening steps forward, my fists tightening as I raised them.

"What do you want from me?" I demanded, keeping my voice from quivering.

I want nothing from you, my darling, I already have all of you

He moved towards me, circling like a jungle cat ready to pounce. His hand sweeped over my dark hair, touching my shoulder. The skin burned where he touched me and I looked at the skin to see my birthmark, red and bright. I clapsed my hand to the clover shaped mark and glared at the man.

"Don't touch me." I hissed.

A hand touched my back and arm. I whirled around, a knife unsheathed from its holder and poised at the person's neck. My eyes cleared of their red and blood thirsty state, focusing on a very frightened and pissed off looking Maveirck.

"Maverick...I'm sorry..." But I knew it was too late.

His hand peeled itself from my back and he walked backwards, the other men doing the same.

"Maverick, don't leave...I'm sorry..." I pleaded.

He shook his head and looked to the men, "Grab the deer, and let's go home..."

I watched in dismay as the men began to cut up the deer, wrapping it in animal skins and dragging it out of the clearing and back towards the village. Looking to Maverick he just avoided my gaze and turned to follow the men.

Its not really your fault. I do hold some guilt in making myself invisible to them. But I needed to talk to you Clover

I drew my bow off my shoulder and grabbed an arrow from my quiver, strining it back and aiming at the man.

"You're ruining everything!" I accused.

No darling, I didn't ruin anything...But Maverick will...