Chapter 6

Liz

Just as I finish eating a snack after my Stats class, a very bored sounding lady comes over the intercom. "All new students in the early admittance program as well as transfers, please report to the gymnasium. All new students and transfers report to the gym."

I follow instructions, wondering what could be happening for an assembly to be called. It's not like we didn't already have orientation. I opt for the stairs, assuming that the elevators are going to be full when that many people are called to go to one place at one time.

I reach the gym after six, very long, very tiring flights of stairs. I've got to work out more. I guess the gym would be the place to do that, and I could take the stairs to add to the workout. Anyway, I walk toward the official entrance to the gym and lean against one of the walls to wait for Emily, not to mention my breath, to catch up with me. One of the ushers has a different idea though.

"Everyone inside, please," he announces, looking directly at me. Wow, thanks. Call me out, why don't you?

"I'm... waiting for a friend," I explain breathlessly when he comes within earshot.

"And I'm waiting for a break," he retorts. "Inside, please," he repeats passive aggressively.

I huff, roll my eyes, and strut into the gym before I realize how much it makes me look like a twelve year old. Yikes. I quickly find a seat in a relatively uncrowded place so that Emily will be more comfortable when she comes to sit with me. I know I'm a social butterfly, but that doesn't make her any less claustrophobic. I pull out my phone to message her.

'Sitting in the second section of the bleachers from the door about halfway up. You here yet?'

'No. I'll find you. I hate assemblies.'

As everyone files in, I realize how many people were accepted into this "extremely selective program." More and more people stream through the doors, and eventually there are about 350 people in the room. That's over half of what the school population is now. There's something weird going on here other than just the powers, and I want to know what they're hiding from us.

I watch the door for Emily. She comes in a few minutes later once the crowd starts thinning out. She scours the bleachers to find me and I wave at her to get her attention. Once she meets my gaze, she starts walking toward the seat I've saved for her. Without warning, a hand grabs her wrist. Shock flashes on her face before she goes in the gap between the bleachers and the wall. I stand up, and I still can't see her or the person who grabbed her arm.

I'm about to make a scene when I hear her voice in my head. 'Liz! I'm fine! Beau just about gave me a heart attack, but I'm fine. He wants me out of sight just in case anything crazy happens.'

'Tell him I said I hate him and not to scare me like that. I thought you were being kidnapped or something,' I think back as I sit down. 'Also, when did you get this power?!' I add excitedly.

'I'm not going to repeat what he said to tell you. I think I got it a few hours ago? I didn't have it yesterday, that's for sure. Also, I'm not one hundred percent sure how to break this connection now that I've made it, so if I'm in your head for a little bit, sorry.'

'Well, while I have you, we may as well talk,' I tell her.

'I will carry on a full conversation with you until the assembly starts if you give me two seconds to see what Beau needs, okay?'

'Sure!'

*** *** ***

Emily

"So, what—"