Chapter 2

Watching my best friend slowly die was the most terrible thing I had ever experienced. I loved Lilly more than anyone. Seeing her in all that pain was almost unbearable. Lilly's prefect blonde locks began to fall out.
Her flawless skin began to pale. Her strong muscular arms deteriorated to thin, weak limbs.
      I went to most of her chemotherapy treatments. Those were the worst. Lilly would have to sit still and cry while they pumped firey pain into her veins. A lot of the times I would have to sit out. It was to hard to watch her.
      One appointment I was in the hallway giving myself a break, when someone tapped me.
"Are you alright?" They said.
"Yeah, I'm swell. I love watching my best friend die"
I looked up and saw a boy about my age looking down at me.
     You can imagine I was incredibly embarrassed to be huddled in a corner crying. I must of looked like an emotionally unstable, psycho with my mascara running down my face and my hair a mess. He didn't seem to mind though.
     "Do you want to talk about it?"
I didn't, but he was too sweet to say no. I explained to him that my best friend had terminal brain cancer and was going to die in a month or so. I could tell he didn't quite know how to respond to that. So he sat down next to me. Didn't say a word, just sat down next to me. I didn't know what to say either, so I just started asking him questions.
"Umm, what's your name?"
"Oh, sorry. I'm Evan. What's your name?"
"Alyssa. If you don't mind me asking, why are you here?"
"Well, I'm kinda sick."
"Oh, I'm so sorry. I didn't realize"
      Now that I looked closer, he didn't look to good. His eyes were sunken into his head and he was skin was kind of a sickly green color. I felt really bad.
"You're fine. You couldn't have known"
     I wanted to ask what was wrong but I didn't want to hurt his feelings again. I guess he could tell what I was thinking because he started to explain.
"I sort of have a kidney thing. A disease. I'll be fine though, eventually. I'm on a transplant list"
"I'm so sorry. That's terrible.
"No worries."
     He ended up giving me his number. He said he'd always be there to talk if I needed someone. I did talk to him. All the time. I found out Evan was 16 years old and was a star soccer player.
     Whenever I was extra upset about Lilly, I just called him and he helped me through it. When Lilly was too sick to hangout with me, I told Evan and he immediately came and got me. He was amazing. Unfortunately, even someone as perfect as Evan couldn't distract me from Lilly.
    I was starting to get used to seeing her in so much pain. I could sit with her during chemo now. I held her hand the whole time. The treatment was slowing the cancer down, but it was not doing enough to save her. Lilly was still going to die soon. They sent Lilly home and put her on hospice.
     This seems like a good thing, but it's not. It basically means that there is no hope so she might as well be comfortable at home as she dies a slow and painful death. I basically lived at Lilly's house during this time. I was always there for her. When I realized she hadn't met Evan, I decided to bring him over. I was worried how she would react.
Lilly managed to croak out, "Lou, come here"
     Lou was Lilly's nickname for me. She said it suited me better because it sounded sweet and innocent, like me. I called her Jo because her middle names was Josephine and I thought Lillian was too fancy.
"What, Jo?"
"Why on earth wouldn't you tell me you have your first boyfriend!?"
"He's not my boyfriend!"
"Yeah, whatever. Bring him over here"
I told Evan that Lilly wanted him. He hesitantly walked over and leaned down so he could hear her.
"Since you're her boyfriend now, you have to make sure she's ok. You know when I'm gone"
     Evan didn't point out that he wasn't my boyfriend. He didn't do anything but agree.
"Don't worry I will never let anything happen to her."
      Like an emotionally unstable idiot, I started crying. Maybe it was because Lilly was worried about me after she would die. Maybe it was because how sweet Evan was. Who cares? I was happy and Lilly was happy. That's all that matters.
      A few days later, Lilly died. Her family was there, her boyfriend was there, and I was there. She didn't seem scared. She was ready to see God. Lillian Josephine died like she lived, beautifully and with grace. I love her all the more for it.