IV

"Monsters are real, Ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win" – Stephen King

"I'm home early" I yell as I slam the door behind me, wandering into the living room where I expect my mum to either be watching The Walking Dead or passed out on the sofa. When I look she's not either which concerns me.

I make my way into the hall, looking up at the staircase just as a lamp flickers behind me

"Now wouldn't this be a perfect horror movie scene" I mutter to myself quietly, quickly scanning the stairs for any footprints or signs of an intruder

"Mom?" I call once more. Not even hearing her soft snores forces panic to start crawling up my stomach. The fact that I survived an encounter with Jeff the Killer and stole his kife finally hits me in the face as I take a step onto the stairs.

"Oh god..." I groan quietly, leaning against the wall.

What if he's already here? Killed my mum? Killed everyone?

"Well being a baby isn't going to solve anything" I force myself up the stairs slowly. Just as I'm about to reach the top, and onto the landing, the last step screeches loudly, making a sound similar to that of a banshee. I immediately grab Jeffs knife, swiftly taking it out and clutching it for reassurance.

I get onto the landing and quickly pad over to my mother's room, taking in sharp breaths as I poke the already ajar door open. In a moment of courage, I bust the door open, ready to kick Jeffs ass if he's in there. To my surprise, my mother is on her bed, curled up and sleeping soundly. I glance at the empty Brandy bottle next to her bed.

Oh

Making my way over to her, I check her pulse. Just in case. When I'm satisfied I grab the Brandy, slip the knife back into my pocket and make my way out of her room. Quickly chucking the bottle I climb back up the stairs with a yawn.

"Jeff the Killer" I giggle sleepily, half delusional by how tired I am "This is probably all a dream anyway" I walk into my room with a content smile, my eyes half closed as I shut the door behind me with my foot "A stupid little dream..."

Stumbling over to my bed, I glance at the digital clock that lies next to me. It reads 3:63 am. That explains my tiredness at least. I roll over with a sigh, then remembering that Jeffs knife is still in my pocket. I quickly take it out and shove it under my pillow so it doesn't stab me in my sleep and my mother doesn't see it when she wakes me to yell 'Raven get your ass up before I drag you out of here'.

As soon as I stretch and bring my knees to my chest, my eyes close on their own accord and my brain switches off. The next thing I know is the darkness of sleep welcoming me into its warm embrace.

***

"Raven get your ass up here before I drag you out of there" My mother yells

Called it.

"No" I huff "I need my precious beauty sleep"

I hear my mum shuffle into my room before she grabs my duvet in an attempt to peel it off of me "You always look wonderful darling, now hurry up; I'm not kidding"

I curl up, throwing a pillow over my body as my precious duvet is thrown onto the floor "Five more minutes, I need more sleep"

"You also need to get to school" She points out, grabbing the pillow and tossing it on the pile with the duvet

"You cruel woman" I shiver, rolling out of bed and flopping onto the pile of softness on my floor. I look up at my mum with a grin and she rolls her eyes. Not a moment later her face changes and she stares at the space where my pillow was "Raven..."