Chapter 3

Written by: EmmaKWinters
Edited by: IHazFandoms
------

"(Y/N)!" someone bangs on my door, "The senator would like to speak with you!"

I groan and drag myself out of bed. This disruption in my sleep let my dream slip my mind. Whatever it was, it was nice. The only thing I could remember was a sunset created by something on the horizon. 

Another mission, another day, typical. I thought that I got the day off but when you’re fighting something that is unpredictable and always moving, they need someone to deal with the issue. 

I quickly got dressed and head through the halls I’ve been in so many times before. I’ve gotten lost before but at this point, even if I’m not thinking, I could still reach my destination. 

If this was a mission as O feared, how would I tell Mon Mothma I couldn't. My injuries from the most recent battle were too bad, they haven’t healed. Fear races through my head. I’ve noticed that sometimes I am so eager for a mission but some outcomes has affected how I see my ability to complete them. I am so focused on my thoughts that I accidentally bump into someone. 

"Oh sorry, didn't see you there," I say only stopping for a moment.

"It's okay, things happen," a man with a thick accent said. I never saw his face, but he saw mine. I keep walking until I get to the Senator's room. 

"Good afternoon (L/N)," she said turning to me.

"Afternoon," I say walking in and sitting down in one of the 8 chairs spread across the big glass table. 

I choose the one across from where she is standing, looking out on the city before her. She looks kind but the way she speaks intimidates me and makes me lose confidence in myself. 

"I have a rather important mission for you," she said, sitting down in the chair across from me. She couldn’t decide if she wanted to sit or stand and ended up standing again.

My heart starts sank. I wasn’t ready for a mission. I couldn't handle a mission. She takes notice at the expression on my face.

"This mission is extremely important, we need you to do this." She says looking at me, intently.

"Senator, with all due respect, I can't go on a mission yet. I'm not fully healed." I say leaning back in my chair. 

Ignoring what what I said, she starts pulling out a file, my mission file. As she pulls it out, I could see my full name plastered in black letters across the top of the file. It was a big file, after all I've been in this fight for a long time. I remember when the ink was still fresh on the folder.

"So, let's dive in," she says pulling out two papers. She holds them up showing them to me. 

"Valentia. A reasonably important mission, that you... Well you didn't exactly fail, but bringing the 1 hostage back and then the other dying as soon as you crash landed, doesn't scream successful." She says looking at me with her eyebrows arched.

I grit your teeth hearing the story. I knew I had messed up on that mission. It haunted me every day that I didn't save that senator's wife. There were complications and unexpected events that took place that made me lose focus on the goal.

"But moving on to..." She says looking through the files. "Jada," She says holding up 4 papers this time. "Your mission was to take out a bounty hunter that had stolen information from us." She looks up from the papers to look at me with a frown on her face. "You instead not only let the bounty hunter escape, but also lost the 3 other men on your team. But then again it's not your fault they wandered into that endless forest." 

I then began to wonder where this was going. So far, she had listed 2 of my most unsuccessful missions. In fact she had hand picked those from the other 100 that were almost all successful. I hadn't failed the Joriaen mission. I had saved 50 hostages that day and it was one of my proudest moments.

"Oh and how could I forget," she said pulling out another 3 papers, "Gegrian, you were ordered to execute Cody (L/N) as a punishment for treason against the Republic and the Alliance." 

"Senator, he... he was my brother," I say, my voice wavering with sadness. It had been almost 2 years since Cody died. Not a day went by that I didn't miss him. I wish he hadn't been so stupid with his actions.

I missed him, yes, but I didn’t feel like I was drowning in guilt when I forgot about him. If I want peace with myself, I need to forget.

"Nonetheless it was your mission. In this Rebel Alliance we do things we don't want to do, but we do them for the sake of saving something greater than a band of people. We do it for them." She says pointing out the window. "(Y/N), just because you're struck down in one battle doesn't mean you quit. It means you get out of your bed and you do what has to be done. You've been well healed for 4 months now, if I wasn't so soft on you I would've made you start missions again 3 and a half months ago."

I looked down. My eyes started to sting with tears. I knew you couldn't keep talking about that battle. Too many memories died there, and so much pain.

"But I'm not here to make you cry." She says taking notice of the tears dripping down my face. 

"I'm here to tell you that you're out of here."

"What?!" I say, standing up abruptly. "I'm out?"

I was both relieved and hurt. I find the need to prove myself and I enjoy fighting but I sometimes want to run and ignore everything is happening. 

"If you don't do this mission, then yes. We don't have hundreds of credits to keep you and your petty wishes happy (Y/N)." 

I look down at my leg and my left arm. I think for a minute about my options. She was right, I was healed. I was just scared about something happening to me again, so I used the battle as a shield.

"Alright I'm in, you're right, you're always right," I say sitting back down calmly. 

"So what is my mission?"

"I'll explain everything, but first I need you to do something for me." She says, moving around the table.

"Alright sure what is it?" I ask, getting up from the table. 

"You won't be working alone on this mission (Y/N). Far from it actually."

"Wait," I say, leaning forward. I have problems working with others. 

"I need you to go get your new teammate, Cassian Andor."

"What?!"

-----
Words: 1159
-----
Hey guys! So I'm Emma, or EmmaKWinters. I'm going to be helping IHazFandoms on this story! I hope you guys liked the chapter! 

-Emma